• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

First muzzleloader

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cculbreth

Pilgrim
Reaction score
Hello all. I am brand new to the site and just as new to muzzleloading. I recently purchased a Pedersoli Rocky Mountain Hawken .54 and was wondering what is the best powder to use and how much. All I have to go by is the owners manual and it only gives minimum and maximum amounts. Is that something you just play with within those boundaries or is there a rule of thumb. I hope this is not a stupid question but I am flying completely blind. I really want to get in to traditional muzzleloaders but don't know anyone that does it to ask these questions to. Any other information that a newbie might find useful would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Cade

Welcome to the forum pilgrim. To start the owners manual is as good a place as any to use as a guide. Try the minimum loads and slowly work up to different loads while not going above the max loads . You will need to try different grades of powder , in your .54 try FFFg and also FFg to see which powder your rifle shoots best . You will need to shoot .530 and also .535 diameter round balls and also different types and thicknesses of patches also different patch lubes . To begin if you are anxious to begin shooting try a .530 ball some store bought pre-lubed patches and 54 grains of FFg powder and whatever No. 11 caps you can buy and shoot this combo then begin your search for the best load combination for your rifle. What is best for your rifle will not be the same as what is best for any other rifle, they are each different from any other rifle...................watch yer top knot.............

Good advice from Buford, your starting load should be 60 grains. Get yourself some traditional black powder such as Goes, KIK, Swiss, etc. For now I would use 2f granulation, later you can tru 3f. .530 diameter round ball and a .015 pre-lubed, pre-cut patch. Set your target between 40-50 yards, shoot 3 with your starting powder charge aiming at the same spot each time. You are only looking for the tighest group right now, don't worry about adjusting your sights and keep a written record of your shooing session so you won't duplicate things the next time. You will want to pick up some cleaning patches which I recommend soaking in 91% rubbing alcohol, which you will use to swab the barrel in between each shot. You aren't cleaning the bore, just running the cleaning patch in and out to keep the fouling down. Then go up 5 grains, shoot 3, same process until your groups start to open up, you've now found the best powder charge for your rifle. Only after you do that should you adjust your sights, change ball diameter/patch thickness, etc. Clear your rifle after every shooting session and it will last a lifetime or more.

Welcome to the forum. To save you the expense of trial and error to find the best load just ship me the gun and I'll work out the best combination for you. I should get it worked out and have the gun back to you in about five years or so. These things need a lot of testing! :idunno: :idunno: Seriously, it is just a trial and error system to get the best loads. Try a load as others have stated and then try varying your powder charge, patch material/thickness, lubes, ball diameter etc. But only change one variable at a time! :hmm:

Welcome Cade. :hatsoff: You've found a great source of information here among our forum members.
Where are you located? There might be somebody here that could meet you at the range.

As a rule of thumb a gun will shoot good with 1 1/2 times the caliber. That would be 81 gr for your .54 cal.

Start lower and work up to it, and and maybe go a bit past it to see what your gun likes.

Brake cleaner is good to get the oil out of your barrel that it came with.

Your gun will shoot good with real black powder if you can get it. Otherwise you can use Pyrodex, but real BP will be more reliable as far as not getting misfires. Most of us have to buy real BP online.

Welcome to the forum. :)

I notice that black powder has been recommended and I agree it is the best thing to use if you can find it.
The gun dealers who carry black powder are not allowed to sit it on the shelf like they can with the various smokeless powders. By law they must store it in a special powder box so you will have to ask for it.

Many dealers don't want to go thru the hassle of the special storage so they don't carry it.
It is a good idea to call ahead and ask if they carry it. If they don't, ask them if they know of anyone in the area that does.

That said, your percussion rifle can shoot the substitute powders as long as they are in the granulated style. The "pellets" will work poorly or not at all in your gun.

Regardless of what the synthetic powder makers say you must clean your gun right after shooting it. You don't need any special cleaners for any black powder or synthetic powder residues. Use plain water with a drop or two of dish washing soap in it. Rinse with water and dry with dry patches.
After cleaning your rifle be sure to wipe the bore and other steel parts with a good rust preventing oil like Birchwood Casey's Barricade.

Have fun. :hatsoff:

Back