• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Small calibers easier to load?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

biliff

54 Cal.
Reaction score
Since I got my .32 awhile back, I've noticed I can use a substantially tighter ball/patch combo than I could in my larger bores. Today I tried a combo I thought would be ridiculously tight. A .318 ball and drill patching (around 0.018"). Still loaded easily, no wiping needed between shots etc. Barrel is GM.

I wouldn't even try something that tight in my larger bores. Is it me or is the smaller ball just that much easier to engrave (ie deforms easier)? Less surface area probably also helps some, too.

Anybody else notice this?

I used to shoot a bore size ball in my .40 GM barrel but I though it was a thing common to that barrel manufacture.I has been so long since I shot a rifle and anything under .50 I do not have a vivid memory of such things.

Prob'ly not much help, but here goes. I use a .315 ball and .010 patch with mink oil, and it's fairly hard to start, but only because the patch catches on the ramrod tip between the tip and the ball. :idunno:
Once I back off with the rr, and fold the edges of the patch over the ball, it's ok.
I know. I was off topic. :thumbsup:

I think you're onto something, or at least I've noticed roughly the same thing. My guess is that the larger the ball, the more friction you have to overcome as "relative tightness" goes up. Or however you want to say it. A 32 cal ball has roughly half the bearing surface of a 58, so it would seem that with the same kind of fit the 58 would be roughly twice as hard to seat.

My reasoning may be off, but I agree with the symptoms you describe in any case. :grin:

I agree. Pushing on a little prb doesn't take a lot of force. If using a wooden ramrod in a .32 or .36, it might not be a good idea to go too tight with your combo.

hanshi said:
If using a wooden ramrod in a .32 or .36, it might not be a good idea to go too tight with your combo.

One thing I've found with 32 and 36 cal is rod fit. A rod close to bore diameter is sure a lot less likely to break, even as you still have to use short strokes to seat a ball. I just want as much meat as possible and as little flex within the bore as possible in a rod. I'm getting set to work with a 30 cal right now, and my first concern will be how well the rod fits.

Wow its strange how this came up. I just spent this weekend trying .315 balls in my 32. with patches from .010 - .020 and even the .020 loaded easy without between shot swabbing. maybe next month Ill try .320 and .323 balls. as it stands the .315 with the .015 patch is my most accurate :thumbsup:

Bakeoven Bill said:
Since I got my .32 awhile back, I've noticed I can use a substantially tighter ball/patch combo than I could in my larger bores. Today I tried a combo I thought would be ridiculously tight. A .318 ball and drill patching (around 0.018"). Still loaded easily, no wiping needed between shots etc. Barrel is GM.

I wouldn't even try something that tight in my larger bores. Is it me or is the smaller ball just that much easier to engrave (ie deforms easier)? Less surface area probably also helps some, too.

Anybody else notice this?

You have far less lead to compress in 32 than a 62 for example. Also land/groove ratio of the rifling will have an effect.

Dan

You are pre obdurating the balls. Now aren't you ashamed of yourself!

It's nothing to be ashamed of CrackShot. Lots of guys have premature obduration problems. I suspect it's a result of using an overly sensitive rod.

There's no way I could load a .318 ball in a .018 patch in my .32 - but mine is a pretty tight .32.

I use a .300 ball in a .010 cotton patch, and that works fine for me.

They're a lot of fun though huh? :grin:

:hatsoff:
Spot

Well if the young'ns can put all the pieces together enough to see the humor in that post then you can't protect their innocence 'cause it's already gone. :wink:

I know my wife would quit reading the site if she saw that. I'm starting my 13 year old granddaughter in muzzleloading. I've helped her nose around the site a couple of times. If she saw that post, she'd be asking me what it meant if she didn't get it.

I don't want to have to watch for it, or to have to explain it or dodge it. If we want to grow muzzleloading, it's going to require young people. Gotta make room for them if we really want that to happen.

Hey! Pretty soon we'll probably start talking about "reptile dysfunction" if we're not careful. Speaking of such I did have a copperhead that just wouldn't strike at his mouse. Yep, it can happen to you. :rotf:

Back