• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

pre-carved fowler stocks for 44"+ barrels?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

texcl

50 Cal.
Reaction score
I'm interested in building a fowler with a long slender barrel/forearm, but all the pre-carves I can find max out at 42"s, I'd like to have the barrel, lock and trigger inlet and I'd do the rest. Does anyone do this?

Mike Brooks' fowling gun stocks are for 44" clearing in 16 or 20 bore. The lock is not done nor the trigger but maybe he can cut them in for an extra charge if you send him your exact lock and trigger.

I just noticed that re davis makes a french fusil with a 48" barrel, does anyone have any experience with this kit? How correct for a colonial fowler would this be? I was thinking of building it as a colonial restock with french metal, since the wood is american walnut anyway.

That's a nice one mike, your work is always great. I really like your carolina gun and English guns too.

Does anyone know if the .20ga rayle barrel that comes with the davis fusil kit can be substituted with a 16ga. barrel, or are they different contours?

texcl said:
Does anyone know if the .20ga rayle barrel that comes with the davis fusil kit can be substituted with a 16ga. barrel, or are they different contours?
Probably not enough meat to bore to a 16. But I'd call Rayle to make sure. I beleive he's about a year behind most of the time.

I think the davis French Fusil would be OK for a colonial gun at the right time and place, I think I heard that these are rather heavy due to the barrel not really being as it should for such a gun, this is common with fowlers that are offered particularly in the smaller bores made witrh the same barrel profile,what should be a 5 to 7 lb gun may weigh 8 or 9 lbs

Back