• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Pipes & Tobacco

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Flint50

45 Cal.
Reaction score
What kind of pipes do you smokers use when at rondy or day treks? What kind of tobacco? Do you use leather bag or tobacco tin? Just wonderin-thanks

Flint50

I use a corncob. Not sure how PC it is, but they smoke very well for a cheap pipe. I don't know what the old-timers used to clean a pipe, but pipe cleaners are great for pipes and blackpowder firearms. I personally smoke an English blend, with lots of latakia and other orientals in it, and I'm pretty certain that stuff doesn't date to before 1820. :imo: I find clay pipes smoke too hot for comfort. graybeard

I think a clay pipe for eastern trekkers or a small pipestone pipe in the west. Twist for tobacco.

I make my own pipes out of earthenware clay...helps to have a wife who is a potter with a kiln. I'll shoot some pictures over the weekend.

I get my tabac from Plumebleu, he makes a great kinnikinik with tobacco, sassafrass, dogwood, sweetgrass, and bearberry...awesome stuff, very smooooooth. I carry it in a--don't yell or laugh--small ziplock bag in a leather pouch along with my pipe. This is my one big cheat, but it keeps it from drying out. HOWEVER, I'm going to experiment with a waxed hemp bag to preserve freshness.

Also, carrying a pipe gives you other tools:
1: Knife sharpener
2: a small blow-pipe for your fire
3: a really cool little turkey call...just use it as you would a wing-bone call. Thank Plumebleu for showing me that, it works like a charm.

Do you guys lite your pipes with glowing char cloth?

tinder tube or on sunny days my burning glass...but usually I only smoke on the trail once camp has been established, so, I use the camp fire embers.

at rendezvous, I occasionally sneak a Bic "wheel-lock" in to expedite ignition....please, don't hate me...lol

at rendezvous, I occasionally sneak a Bic "wheel-lock" in to expedite ignition....please, don't hate me...lol

It's a wheellock... :crackup:

I seen people use a burning stick before...

The char cloth actually works pretty good. Tastes funky, sometimes. That's what I get for using our old flannel bedsheets for char cloth.

Mosty often I use twigs from the Diamond Strike Anywhere tree.

strikeanywhere.jpg

hmmmmmmmmm...white man magic fire twigs.....goes well with white man magic fire-water (AKA Boy Scout Juice)

where is this plumebleu you are talkin' about. do they have a web site?

He's a guy on this forum. I can put him in touch with you. He's one of my rondy/trekkin' pards.

sure, I'd love to try some of that smoke. I will be out of the office till monday, see ya' then.

I use a homemade pipe made from one brow tine and the base of a muledeer antler.

Sweetest smoking pipe I've ever owned! (But you really hafta' break in right - Don't try to break it in by smoking it or you'll blend in evergreens and armadillos for the next 6 weeks! - I fired mine up, took the (now-ex) wifes car and did two four mile road trips (2 bowls) with the pipe sticking out the window at 60 MPH. Worked like a charm!)

I grow my own tobacco and cure it with a little Jim Beam. Makes for a real good smoke!

...The Kansan...

I smoke a clay pipe, and a clay pipe with a reed stem. Leather tobacco pouch. Tobacco is whatever I have on hand! Current blend is a combo of a couple of modern cut blends (cherry, and chocolate),latakia,and twist tobacco.

Capt. William

I use a homemade pipe made from one brow tine and the base of a muledeer antler.

Sweetest smoking pipe I've ever owned! (But you really hafta' break in right - Don't try to break it in by smoking it or you'll blend in evergreens and armadillos for the next 6 weeks! -
...The Kansan...

Oh, yikes....I guess not! I can't stand the smell of that burnt bone and antler when I use the dremel or table saw, so I sure wouldn't want it down my lungs!!!

SB

Back