• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Reflections........

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mr. Mathis. I agree with Mr. Lisle would you be so kind and lock this thread. Maybe we can start a new one that actually reflects on our past year experiences.

Shine - what in blazes are you doing to that poor bird in your avatar???

Er...do I really want to know...?

:haha:

Im having a turkey sandwich. Hold the mayo,hold the bread, Hold on to the turkey. :shocked2: If you eat them head first they can't peck at your eyes on the way down. Im not stupid geesh:grin:

2010 was a good year. My log book shows I was trekking in the woods for 50 days, both during hunting seasons and other times. Hunted deer in the early rifle season above 10,00 feet with the flintlock, hunted elk during the muzzloading season with the caplock, then hunted the third elk rifle season with my cousin and my cartridge gun. Cartridge gun was also packed during antelope season. Made meat this year.

Half of my trekking was with my horse, with the CO (My darling wife) on her horse. Horses can be a real blessing if you take the time to train them well. You can cover more ground and get into camp in a good frame of mind. Not to mention, tying the horse to a tree, you can still cover a goodly amount of ground on foot. Saw a funny National Forest sign this year. It said,"don't tie your horse to a live tree". With all the beetle kill the past few years, there are very few live trees. Our gov shows its intelligence in many ways.

There's something I just learned. I can apply for elk for muzzleloading and rifle season? I thought you can only apply for a species one time?

:photoSmile:
Where's the pics? Make meat with elk? Deer? Pronghorn?
You're torturing me! :shocked2:

Capper said:
There's something I just learned. I can apply for elk for muzzleloading and rifle season? I thought you can only apply for a species one time?

You can get two elk tags, one for muzzleloading season, the other in the leftover draw in mid summer. When I applied for 3rd season leftovers, there were 3,000 tags available for the area I wanted.

Cap, you can't apply for two elk tags. If you do you will anvalidate both of your apps. It's like oletimey said. You can enter the left over draw or just buy left over in August. The second tag has to be an "additional" tag by definition. The units in which tags are "additional" are listed for both deer and elk in the brochure. This year I applied for and got both deer and elk ml tags and "additional" deer and elk rifle tags. Did not kill an animal this year!!!!! :( That's a whole nother story!

We did have good food in camp though. Check out Saturday night dinner.

20101015Jimnpig.jpg

I've read that the Indians loved to eat them but most folks might take a dim view of you guys cooking your dog. :hmm:
:rotf:

Yeah, I figured out what he meant. My problem is the left over tags are in units I have no interest in. I like to stay in my area.

I know i'm going to apply in unit 55 for elk cow. Greenmtnboy thinks i'll get that with no points. Then I can hunt with him.

Then i'll try for deer in 2nd and 3rd rifle season in my area. I called up DOW, and they thought i'd get that ok with no points.

So, I can hunt ML season for elk with GMB, and deer on my own during rifle season with my ML.

Back