• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Advice on Squirrel/Turkey Rifle

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I'm considering getting a smaller caliber rifle for Squirrel and Turkey hunting. Any specific suggestions on Makes (Makers) and Models? I'd like it to be nicely balanced (swamped barrel?) and of course a tack driver...any suggestions? Secondly, .32 or .36 are just personal preference or is there a specific barrel weight/length in either caliber that you'd recommend? Thanks!

No personal experience with tiny .32/.36cals but would offer a couple of thoughts:

Make certain rifles are allowed for turkey where you hunt;

And...if not, maybe give some thought to a .54cal(.28ga) smoothbore for small game...an excellent small game muzzleloader with shot loads, and very versatile with PRBs for deer hunting.

I've always worried about a tiny .32/.36 caliber being so limited in what they can be used for but I may not be fully aware of their capabilities

No particular recommendations on rifle type or style, just make yourself happy! On the other hand, i DO recommend the 36cal bore. I use 20gr-3f for small game. Have used it also on a "control hunt". 40gr-3f w/prb, took two whitetails at less than 40yds, same velocity as a 357mag. Still, wouldn't say it's a good choice for that size critter.

I built a .36 tennessee rifle for turkey hunting and am pretty happy with it, it shoots flat and is accurate with a lightning fast lock, .36 is easier to load but not by much both calibers are pretty destructive on small game and turkey.

Thanks for the input guys. You say both calibers are destructive on small game and turkey... I understand with small game head shots are taken by most...but what about turkey?... same as with a bow, i.e. where the wing attaches?

I have found the .36 to be a LOT for squirrel. In my experience you must take a head shot or too much meat is ruined. The head shots I've taken have mostly resulted in virtually no head left, which is OK, but shows its power. The .32 I also shoot for squirrel is plenty, but is a bit "gentler" and also allows for lung shots without the meat damage.

I have my first Flint Fowler in 20 GA on order right now. I won't get it in time for squirrel this year, but should be able to try it on Turkey in April/May. This gun seems to be the "ultimate" in flexibility from everything I've read, so I'm anxious to try it. It will also be my first flintlock and I have to really say a big THANK YOU to everyone on this website for the tons of insight and information I've gained in my short time as a member.

I don't know much about fowlers, they could be fun. A 36cal will do the job. Your states minimum caliber size could be a major factor on which gun you choose. I've never shot a turkey with my 32cal. It kills coyotes and pigs dead so it should have no problem on a bird. My 32 is an inexpensive CVA Squirrel Rifle. Tack driver!!! Light to carry. At 30gr P-FFF per shot it doesn't eat much. Buy what you like and what you can afford, that's important, you're going to be the one using it. Good luck.

I aim for the head base of the neck and where the wing meets the body. The advantage of the rifle is the much extended range with body shots.

My new gun is a .34cal x 12ga. combination gun it is the perfect turkey gun( in theory), if you can't call em in close you zap em with the .34cal rifle barrel, just hope I can get the rifle barrel sighted how I like it, it's original and that sort of limits how much I am willing to modify the sights.

texcl said:
My new gun is a .34cal x 12ga. combination gun it is the perfect turkey gun( in theory),

texcl, what, if any, name brand is your 34cal? Is this a new or old original gun? Can you post a pic? I look for original ml's that are "off" size at guns shows and so far I've found 26, 27, 28, 29, and 31, and 32 cal rifles. Never a 34. Not being a history or ml expert, I'd guess most of the "off" cals were made by the local blacksmith/gunsmith? They didn't have the tools back then to measure exactly so they most likely got as close the common cals as they could. And I've wondered if each of those rifles came with a special bullet mold or two, for that particular cal? A bullet mold would nearly have to be a normal part of the deal. Tough luck if you lost or damaged it. I always look for what I call the "off" cals at gun shows. My favorite so far was a 27cal rifle used in the Civil War by a Southern farm boy. It had notches cut in the back bottom of the stock. Great when the old rifles and pistols come with a story. But a story usally raises the price tag. A .34 would definitely kill squirrels and turkey. Love to see it. K45

Latest posts

Back