• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Whitetail blood on Roy's rifle

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jethro224

Reaction score
2nd firearm/1st ML season opened Thursday. I was totin' Roy Stroh's "Traveling Rifle". She sure is sweet! A .62 Virginia style flintlock. Shoots real good with 100 grains of 2F Goex pushing a .600 ball. Her name is Sue... Runaround Sue.

At 8am I had slipped into a spot on a hillside overlooking a big gully where I usually see a lot of deer. As I scanned the area movement caught my eye 150 yards away on the other side. The first and only buck I saw during the whole firearm season. Big body but I only caught a glimpse of his rack. He had already got under my radar and was sneaking into the neighbors place when I saw him. No shot situation.

Sometimes they circle around over there and come back into the valley on my side so I waited. Not 10 minutes later I saw 2 does crossing an opening a little over 125 yards out across the gully. I was sitting on the hillside and I put my elbow on my knee and the sights on the lead doe and the sights just hung there. Light wind right in my face.
Now, I know that is a pretty far shot with open sights, I had shot the rifle at 125 yards and I've made this shot before. If the shot feels right...
Hold just over her back. Light 'er up.

The shot felt real good. Smoke blocked my view so I didn't see how the deer reacted. Just heard them running off up the valley. I decided to sit tight for an hour.

Nothing moved for an hour so I got out of there and took the long way around the end of the valley and walked down the other side. Best part was the wind switched while I was walking so it was still in my favor. I sneaked down in there to where the does were when I shot and found a big wad of hair. No blood.

HPIM1197.jpg

More wads of hair every few feet for 10-15 yards. Still no blood. I followed along the trail she was on for 50 yards or so without finding any blood. Then I combed back and forth a little bit on the way back to the hair in case I had missed where she took a side trail. Nothin'.

By then it was 11:00 and I was hungry. Just uphill from the hair I have a spot where I left an old steel folding chair with a good view, so I sat down in my chair and ate lunch and thought about the shot. It FELT like a good shot! There was a LOT of hair! Could I have just gave her a haircut? I didn't think so.

With some food in my belly, I went back to the hair and started over. After the big obvious wads of hair ran out I got down on my knees and found a hair here and a track there for the next 50 yards or so. Right back to where I had been before. The main trail went right there but I couldn't find any sign. There was a fainter trail splitting off to the left. Another hair!

From a real low position I saw a red gob on a small tree 20 yards farther along the smaller left fork. Hair and blood! 70+ yards from the first patch of hair! Then I started finding a few drops of blood on the trail. Not a good blood trail at all. At least it was proof that I was on the right deer track.

She wound her way another 50+ yards thru the brush and went across the creek. Right there at the creek the blood trail finally started getting good. I didn't even hafta bend over anymore. Bright foamy splashes on the big sycamore leafs all the way up the other side of the creek bed.

I made my way down thru the creek bed and up the other side. Followed the blood around a clump of bushes and looked ahead. Another 20 yards or so and there she laid. She had made it a good 150 yards before falling over!

I hit her high thru the lungs. Exit wound just forward of the entry. You can see the entry in the picture. Them .600 balls make big holes. I couldn't believe how far she ran! Or how far she ran before she bled!

HPIM1200.jpg

Other than the lack of antlers, this has been a pretty good year. There's meat in the freezer. I saw a bunch of deer. Several within a few feet of me. Many in range. Still have 3 days of ML season next weekend and good tags for that. I'll be out there looking for the big buck that has been avoiding me so far. :thumbsup:

Grats Jethro!
Maybe that ole doe heard the guns name and thought it was suppose to run around a while before it died!
Good shootin, Nice deer! :hatsoff:

good stuff ! :thumbsup: good luck next weekend :thumbsup:

Nice shootin and trackin. Always made me wonder why some just pour out the blood while others that should, just dribble, I rekon it's all about getting that one artery cut? :thumbsup:

The higher the shot the longer it takes for large amounts of blood to start leaking out it has to fill up the cavity before it starts coming out in big splashes, generally. Also clogging is a big problem, a clump of hair or fat can clog the holes easily. The last deer I shot didn't leave a good blood trail till right before I found her about the time I found a big bloody clump of hair that had been clogging the wound, the blood trail there after was about 12" wide and 4" across.

Jethro, good follow up, alot of guys don't do that anymore. We find deer carcasses every year around here from guys who shot at a deer and didn't follow up. My mom shot one this year and there was no blood for over 75 yards then a good trail for 200 yards then it dried up and I was following tracks and verifying the trail by finding little slivers of hair and bone.

Jethro224 said:
It FELT like a good shot! There was a LOT of hair!

Another 20 yards or so and there she laid. She had made it a good 150 yards before falling over!

I hit her high thru the lungs. I couldn't believe how far she ran! Or how far she ran before she bled!

Congratuations on two counts Jethro:

1) Tagging a deer with a Flintlock;
2) Not giving up on the wounded deer;
:hatsoff: :hatsoff:

Lung shots definitely do not put them down quickly like a heart shot does...and if it's a high lung shot they can bleed internally like yours did for a long time before those lungs fill up with blood and eventually shut off the oxygen supply to the blood stream.

IMO, not giving up on her is an exellent example of a good hunter!
:thumbsup:

Great story and the hunt wasn't bad either! :hatsoff: Persistence is the name of the game.
You done good Sir! :applause:
Dusty :wink:

Congratulations, Jim. Fine deer. Fine Hunt, Way to go sticking to that track. I suspect that the entire chest cavity was full of blood from that high hit.

I knew you were gonna get one :thumbsup: I was just about to ask how the weekend went. What day did you get your doe? I hunted friday evening at my cornfield outside of town seeing nothing. But Saturday I saw 9 different deer. I even had 1 doe walk 7 yards away from me when I was just sitting under a tree. She ran but it wasn't from me. A coyote must have been chasing her because no buck ever showed up.

Amazing that deer got so far after being thumped by that big ball! I'm really impressed with your ability to find that deer! :thumbsup: Good story to add to the journal of that rifle.

Latest posts

Back