• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Western PA Longrifle by Abias Butler Smith

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Captjoel

45 Cal.
Reaction score
This original longrifle has several unusual features. It was made in the 1840 time period as a flintlock. Proving this system had it's positive merits just like today. The barrel length on this piece is also a throw back to earlier times. It is 45 inches long and is swamped. The barrel maker stamped his name Jessie Pannabecker on the bottom flat near the breech. The gunsmith signed his name in script A.B. Smith in the usual top flat area of the barrel. The most interesting feature is the bore design of twin groove rifling for a belted round ball. It is 32 caliber.
P1010112-1.jpg
P1010144-1.jpg

It looks so nice, that at first glance, I thought it was a contemporary rifle. Sure is a large roller on the frizzen spring. Thanks for the pictures.

Sorry I didn't respond sooner, but I was trying to keep the drool out of the keyboard!

That's a beautiful rifle. It's hard to believe it wasn't made in the last few years, and I definitely mean that as a compliment. That's a rifle that was apparently loved and appreciated by its owners.

Thank you all for your compliments! I consider myself to be very lucky to have found this little gem. I know one of it's previous owners was an old school clean freak, nothing I can do about that. I am thankful that the wonderful engraving has survived in tact and not polished away. I believe this rifle is one of the rare few that spent most of it's days in storage. The bore shines up bright and shiny. The original frizzon has very little wear. I'm even pretty sure the ram rod is original to the rifle and that is very rare for a small bore! The maker was well known and documented with several inovative patents regarding fire arms and farm machinery. He was an apprentice to Joel T. Ferree from 1836 to 1838.
P1010134.jpg
P1010128.jpg

Beautiful!!
I read that the very ornate rifles of that time period were made for the rich, and were not used hardly at all, just stored and left alone. The rifles made for the bluecollar set were used and abused and no longer exist. Also adding to he extraordinary condition, is the bullet. They were hard to get after a time, and were not very popular.
What a great rifle!!

Back