• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

where to buy black powder

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bigbuckdn

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Hello
well i am about to finish my first build
percusion 54 cal prb gun in the past with my kit gun i always used pyrodex but i want to try real black powder I live in N.Y. no one buy me sells it
I can order from TOTW but I have to buy 25lbs is there anyplace i can order in 1 lb at a time

if not i am in orange county n.y. looking to split and order at totw

Chuck, if you can figure out the search feature,(I know I sure struggle with it), you'll find a lot on finding and buying BP.

I'll second that for ordering from Powder Inc. Great company and fast hassle free shipping. If you can find several fellow muzzleloaders in your area to go in on an order together totaling 25 pounds the price per can of Goex comes down considerably, to under $14 per pound, shipping and haz-mat fee included. IIRC, buying that much of store brand powder from Jack's powder keg is even cheaper. Still, when you are paying $22+ for one can at the store (if there is one that sells it in your area) even a 5 pounds order saves your money having it shipped to your door.

Graf & Sons will let you buy 5 Lbs at a time and mix the load.

I drive to Dixons Muzzleloading Shop in Kempton PA to buy mine.

I live in Orange County as well! Suggested you Google search Black Powder storage in NYS. Dept of Labor has specific regulations that govern ownership and storage.

Charlie

I don't know what retail stores are near you. I bought a can of Goex at a Gander Mountain store just to see if I could.

Regards,
Pletch

Gander Mtn by us cannot store black powder due to local Codes....Like I said earlier some weird storage codes. You are only allowed by law to have 5 lbs in your possession.

If you have it in your residence you need to store it in a wooden box painted red with letters 1 1/2 x1 1/2 marked LOW EX. The box is to be stored on the first floor of your home.

You are only allowed to transport 5 lbs in you vehicle and the vehicle is supposed to have 2 six inch yellow signs with LOW EX marked on them. Black Powder ownership and storage is governed by the New York State Dept of Labor.

Thruway Dept stores in Walden can't carry it either due to Code restrictions.

I asked the same question. But that is New York State for you. I'm only trying to help another NY member out. I travel to PA Dixon's to buy my powder! 119 miles but I also stop at Cabela's and make a day out of the trip.

This is right out of the NY Dept of Labor web site

§ 39.12 Special provisions relating to black powder. (a) General. (1) The provisions of this
section shall apply only in connection with the transportation, storage and sporting use of black powder in quantities of five pounds or less when such powder is used in antique firearms or weapons or replicas thereof.

(2) Persons shall use, store, buy, sell, possess, transport, receive or dispose of black powder
only in accordance with the provisions of the Labor Law and of this Part (rule).
(b) Transportation. (1) Vehicles carrying five pounds or less of black powder and carrying no
other explosives shall be marked or placarded either on both sides or on both front and rear with circular signs or decals. Every such sign or decal shall have a minimum diameter of six inches and shall contain the letters "LOW-EX" in legible black letters at least one and one- quarter inches in height on a yellow background.

(2) A trailer may be attached to a vehicle carrying five pounds or less of black powder and
carrying no other explosives. This paragraph does not modify the provisions of paragraph 39.11(g) (5) of this Part (rule) which prohibits the use of trailers for the transportation of explosives.

(3) A vehicle in transit carrying no other explosives than five pounds or less of black powder may be parked on a public street of a city, town or village near a dwelling, building or place where persons work, congregate or assemble provided that a designated person remains in such vehicle to guard the blackpowder.

(4) Passengers other than the driver may be permitted in any vehicle transporting five pounds
or less of black powder and carrying no other explosives and provided the black powder is located in the trunk of the vehicle or otherwise separated from the passenger compartment.

(5) Smoking, if otherwise permitted by law, may be permitted by persons driving or riding in
a vehicle containing five pounds or less of black powder and carrying no other explosives provided the black powder is located in the trunk of the vehicle or is otherwise separated from the passenger compartment. The other provisions of subdivision 39.11(c) of this Part (rule) shall remain in effect.

(6) Unloaded firearms may be permitted in a vehicle transporting five pounds or less of black
powder and carrying no other explosives provided such firearms are securely fastened to a portion of the vehicle or located in a case or box and are separated from the black powder box.
(c) Storage. (1) Five pounds or less of black powder may be transported in a vehicle, stored in a residence other than a multiple dwelling or stored in a building other than a place of public assembly in accordance with the provisions of this paragraph.
(i) The black powder shall be either in the original shipping canisters, powder horns,
powder flasks or as prepared charges in plastic or paper tubes. Such containers shall be kept in locked boxes constructed of wood at least three-quarters inch nominal thickness. Handles shall be provided on each end or a single handle shall be centered on the top of each such box for quick removal in case of any emergency.

(ii) Each such box shall be painted red with the letters "LOWEX" at least one and onequarter
inches in height printed in yellow or white on the cover.

(iii) When located in a residence or building, every such box shall be located in the
basement, cellar or on the first floor and shall be within 10 feet of an outside exit or stairway leading to an outside exit.

wow youre sure gettin your money's worth from your legislators and buearocrats in NY :hatsoff:

they probably took jurisdictional lead on this one due to the dangers to first responders in an accident or fire

thanks everyone for your help not sure but ii know pyrodex shoots prety good from my 50 cal

Noting that all of those rules apply to "five pounds or less..." maybe if someone was transporting 5 pounds + one ounce they could transport the powder like folks in the rest of the U.S.?

I know. Somewhere there is some law that forbids carrying or transporting over 5 pounds which leads to the question, How do folks receive supplies of black powder in quantities greater than 5 pounds?

Back