• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Percussion pistol ID ?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

John Tice

40 Cal.
Reaction score
My Uncle sent me these pics of a pistol he got from my Grandpap's estate years ago. We have no background on it. There is no ramrod. Does anyone have any ideas? Thanks in advance.

pistolside2.jpg

pistolside.jpg

pistoltop.jpg

The pistol is a pocket pistol that was very popular in the mid 1800's, typically between 1840 and 1860.

Guns of this type were often made in England or Belgium but some were made in the U.S.

If the gun was made overseas, it should have proof marks on it near the breech of the barrel.

Knowing what these proof marks look like (if they exist) will let us know where it was made.

Thanks Zonie, there are no visible marks on it. I wonder how it was loaded without an attached ramrod ? :hmm:

Many pocket pistols were loaded at home where things like short ramrods or maybe even a straight stick and powder measures were available.

In those days folks planned on only using their gun if all else failed and the idea of reloading in the field, so to speak, was not considered.

That's why things like Cane guns, a gun that looks like a walking cane but has a barrel, a percussion cap and a small trigger or button were fairly common. The owners of these guns also never considered reloading after the shot.

John Tice said:
There is no ramrod. Does anyone have any ideas?

I wonder how it was loaded without an attached ramrod ?

John

Some, like the picture below, were screw barrel guns, meant to be loaded
by unscrewing the barrel off, putting the powder then ball in the threaded
receiver end, then screwing the barrel back on top.

They had a tool/key that removed the barrel that went on the out side of
most of the single barrel guns and one that fit the inside of double barrel
guns.

I think so anyway.
4DB.jpg

4DB.jpg

Hope this helps you.

Tinker2

I have a simalar double barrel muff pistol. It was made in England in 1850. The barrels on mine are the screw barrel type and use a key to unscrew for loading.Nice gun.

Thats very intersting. I know screw barrels go back aways, at least to the early 18th century, I think. I have never seen notches inside a barrel to turn it before. There is always something new to learn about old guns, thats fer sure. Thanks for the info guys. :hatsoff:

Just posted some of mine very similar but they have proof marks, maybe someone can help. I was always told they were Irish but theres nothing to support that.

Back