• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Pyrodex...will somebody please explain?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Silk is natural! Been around for along time . . . comfy too!

Now cashmere wool is SOFT!

Back OT . . . I bought some Pyro P back about 25 years ago, cuzz that's what the guy sold me . . . I didn't know that I could still buy blackpowder, so last year I bought another pound of Pyro P since I wanted to shoot my C&B . . . $27+!

I just bought 25 pounds of black for about $13 a pound delivered to my door!

silk ,cotton I got to try some of them these seams on these flour sacks are rubbing me in the wrong places :rotf:

alabamaboy said:
silk ,cotton I got to try some of them these seams on these flour sacks are rubbing me in the wrong places :rotf:

The secret is don't wash them sacks. They'll break in real good after a couple of years.

.....and, this is first hand knowledge, Pete? :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:

alabamaboy said:

Reminds me of a Christmas "spoof record" my grandpa used to play:

(To the tune of "Winter Wonderland")

I'm itchin' up here,
scratchin' down there,
Valking in my Vinter Undervare
(they were Norwegian, I believe)
Don't remember who sang it, but it was pretty funny at the time...

Capper said:
Of course. I'm working on my second sack to keep for a spare.
Holy Moly! This guy's got an entire WARDROBE!
You mus' be one of 'dem RICH fellers, Pete! :wink:

CaptainKirk said:
Capper said:
Of course. I'm working on my second sack to keep for a spare.
Holy Moly! This guy's got an entire WARDROBE!
You mus' be one of 'dem RICH fellers, Pete! :wink:

My mama used to tell. Don't be a one sacker son.

I never forgot it.

so that's it don't wash them maybe set aside some of the flour for dusting until they break in :thumbsup:

CaptainKirk said:
I don't like to think of myself as stupid...I fully understand the lure of the "holy black" in a purist type of way. But there are times when it's unavailable, or too bloody expensive due to HAZMAT shipping charges to be practical; thus, I've settled into a routine; "P" for the pistols and RS for the rifles. I've worked up loads I'm comfortable with.
So, I'm a bit confused at all the allegations of rusting, pitting, poor performance, ad nauseum that seem to fly around the use of Pyro on a regular basis.

1)I've been shooting Pyro pretty much exclusively for the last three decades. I clean up with Hoppes #9 PLUS BP solvent and patch lube. I've noticed no rust, corrosion or pitting in any of my guns. Maybe I'm doing something wrong by not having rust? I dunno... :idunno:

2) Speaking of cleanup, using the #9+ makes cleanup as easy as cleaning a CF gun. This is supposed to be a messy, smelly, and inconvenient process. Again, ..... :idunno:

3) Granted, I don't probably don't shoot as much as many of you. But for the shooting I do, Pyro seems to work fine.

4) My next gun will probably be a rock-lock, thus, I'll be using real holy black. But I've noticed no hangfires or misfires in any of my caplocks to date, except once when I tried to shoot some Pyro from the bottom of a can that was at least four years old. It still fired, but was weak. Go figure!

So, for those of you who truly hate Pyro from other than a historical standpoint, please clue me in as to why you hate the stuff so much?

Not trying to be a smart a$$ but your experience is not typical and not just from my experience but that of others as well.
If you lived closer I would love to come examine your guns with a magnifier and bore scope.
I may get east in January, eastern Iowa anyway, but probably will be on a tight schedule.

Dan

jaw69 said:
Just to add a little to the fire Try shooting pryo after it has been wet Then try with black powder both dryed in the sun. See which one you like better.

Interestingly enough the patent papers state that Pyrodex with a 20% water content (slurry if you will) will still function as an explosive. Water reduces the power output but its will go "bang" but suspect it takes a blasting cap to initiate.
It is also interesting that if dried to less than 1% moisture it will generate every high pressures.

Dan

captain kirk...

like i said earlier in this thread, you live only 3 hours from a BP dealer who carries both swiss and shuetzen powders. you can buy any amount you like up to 50lbs. the prices are extremely good.

here's the link
www.addictedtoblackpowder.com

i buy mine from him.

waukegan to mineral IL is approximatly3 hours, 6min according to mapquest. it would make for a good day out of the house. just tryin' to help.

Last edited by a moderator:
Josh, Dan Pawlak invented and patented Pyrodex because it has a higher ignition temperature than black powder and is therefore safer to ship and put on store shelves. It is harder to ignite than black powder, and he addressed that problem, too. He invented the HotShot nipple. This is Thompson/Center's No. 7075, Wal Mart sells them out here, so does Track of the Wolf and others. Mine has an .035 hole. Do not drill it out. It works perfectly well as is. It makes all the difference in igniting Pyrodex P, RS, and the Triple 7 powders in caplocks, compared to a regular nipple. I use this nipple in all my caplocks, even for regular black powder. They cost about $5. You do not need magnum primers.

Now to primers. Lyman's Black Powder Handbook & Loading Manual, 2nd edition, has loading data for black powders, Pyrodex P, RS and Select. They say "Percussion Caps: CCI #11 percussion caps were used in most of our testing. CCI #11 Magnums were used with Pyrodex Pellets as they are more difficult to ignite than black powder. RWS Musket caps were used in some .58 caliber testing..." They did 5-shot tests of each load, and that totalled 4,235 shots with Pyrodex P, RS and Select using CCI #11 primers compared to zero magnum primers with the same.

Lets ask this another way. Why do you Pyrodex fans use it instead of the other less corrosive substitutes like trip 7.

First, I am not a fan of the replica powders. I test them to learn for myself what they are, and I report the results objectively and honestly. Second, I do not know that Pyrodex is more corrosive than Triple 7. Follow the directions on the package (Pyrodex Select): "Always clean firearms as with black powder." Hodgdon's little Basic Muzzleloading Manual pamphlet says "Triple Seven and Pyrodex require no special cleaning fluids....To clean the bore after use of Pyrodex all that is necessary is hot, soapy water. Clean the barrel with patches until it comes away clean. Don't spare the elbow grease!" (Some experienced shooters prefer cool or lukewarm water, and many users of regular black powder clean their bores with water- Herb).

I was in Basin Sports here in Vernal to check on prices of these powders. A young man was looking at the stuff there so I asked if he was a black powder shooter. He said he had a Bobcat (I had no idea what that was) and that he shot Pyrodex pellets in it, but after three shots it was fouled so he could not seat the pellet(s?) for the next shot and had to take it apart and clean it. He wondered why. I asked if he was on the internet, then suggested he E-mail Hodgdon with his question. About then the clerk came up, who has been in that store for several years and sells this stuff, but he did not know what the solution was. I didn't want to interfere so I left. Just looked to see what a Bobcat is, and found that it is a CVA sidelock caplock, and that Midway USA is selling it as a discontinued rifle for $64.99.

If this guy had come on here with his problem someone would have dumped on him like a load of bricks saying get rid of that Crapodex and use real black powder. He can't get blackpowder in Vernal, nobody sells it. He can't get it in Salt Lake City or Davis County (175 miles away). I don't know about Rock Springs, WY (120 miles) or Steamboat Springs, CO (120 miles) or Grand Junction, CO (150 miles). But these pellets are not for use in sidelock rifles, and bulk Pyrodex RS would have solved his problem. I don't know who he was so can't get back to him to help him. I am a disgruntled former customer of this store, but there is a need for more information on shooting muzzleloaders with whatever powder.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back