• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

loading lever catch help

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

freekforge

45 Cal.
Reaction score
I have a '58 rem. and the loading lever catch fell off awile back i bought a new catch but dont know how to put it on :idunno: :cursing:

There should be a flush mounted pin holding that assembly on. Remove the loading lever from the gun, secure it over slightly open PADDED jaws on a bench vise, having an assistant holding the lever. Drive the pin down into the opening of the PADDED! jaws and make sure to catc it as it falls through. Slide the catch and spring off, reinstall in reverse order.
Or, something like that...

im talking about the little thing on the the bottom of the barrel that the lever catches on.

.. nov 21 / 18:45

are you talking about the "barrel stud" - the piece that accepts/connects the "loading lever latch" to the barrel ?

if so, my exploded parts diagram shows that it's made similar to a dovetail sight - it slides left or right out of a machined groove in the barrel.

after doing some research in my library, it seems that a nylon-brass drift is possibly the only tool you could use.. it's done in reverse order as one would for installing a dovetail sight.. the key is to secure the barrel and tap at the base of the barrel stud pushing it out.. since most directions recommend installing these from 'right to left' try uninstalling it from 'left to right'.

that's all i can suggest.. the worst case is that it was done at the factory and isn't considered a 'user adjustable' component.

also, the 'gun builders bench' forum here might have some suggestion.

good luck,

~d~

Why didn't you say so in the first place? :grin:

(kidding!) Yeah, I think the catch is held on with a simple dovetail. I would use a brass drift, once again, over a padded vise, and drive it off. If you look using strong light and a magnifying glass you should be able to see the dovetail.

there is no dovetail all there is is a spotface and the replacement catch is just a round stud with no dovetail. not sure if it means any thing but its a pietta repro.

Sorry....my Remmy is an Armsport. Since I don't have a Pietta I'd just be guessing how it's installed if not by dovetail.

You could email Dell Warren who owns and operates James County Mercential out in Western Missouri. He does a lot of repo and original gun repairs and he might be able to help or his son who also does gun repairs as well.

My .36 cal Remington has a dovetailed loading lever catch attached to the barrel but my .44 cal Remington does not have a dovetail holding its catch in place. It appears to have been soldered in place and there is no hole going thru the wall of the barrel into the bore at its location.

No, I don't know who made either of the pistols except to say they do not have a Uberti or Pedersoli trademark on them.

. nov 23 / 04:15

congratulations, you now have an excuse to make your first 'gamblers belly gun.'

or pop a couple bills for a new barrel.

but, honestly, i'd pass it to the bench forum first.. they might even volunteer to work on it.. can't hurt fer trying.

good luck,

:hatsoff: ~d~

This is a problem with pietas. My wife had a .36 Navy that developed that problem and I can tell you that short of welding the stud on there is no way to make it stay. They may be silver soldered on at the factory but when this one fell off there was bluing on the barrel and the top of the catch. I think it was held together by gravity. My solution was to dovetail a 60 Army catch in place and no one ever noticed the different appearance. I later discovered that Uberti (and Euroarms) dovetails their catch and front sights in place. Contact Taylor's & co. for the catch.
http://www.taylorsfirearms.com/pro...erti&subcategory=1858 New Army&category=Parts

Last edited by a moderator:
Back