• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Permanent stain/blue for frontsight blade

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

token tory

45 Cal.
Reaction score
After I finished figuring out my pet load & regulated the Remington's front sight with a file so it shoots to POA, but how do you folks permanently re-blue/blacken the filed section which is currently silver colored?

Hot blue is impractical for me BTW.

I've tried cold blue(s) & blackening with candle smoke, but I'm looking for something that will take being holstered & drawn.

I think there is an aluminum black as well. Has anyone tried these on steel?

Now before someone says :bull: I've seen a blackened metal chandelier that was done by some "secret" process in the 1920's using..... :bull: Anyone know details of using manure to blacken steel by staining it not just on, but into the surface? :youcrazy:

--I use orange finger nail polish on my front sight--pretty rugged--would black polish work----- :idunno: ---

Great idea, thanks. Perfect timing what with Halloween & all going on it should be easy to find:bow:
Real easy to touch up or remove if it doesn't as well. :hatsoff:

When you pack steel or iron with something like manure, then heat it up, the iron oxides in an oxygen deprived environment, when combined with the acids present in the manure. You get a black color rather than rust color.

You can achieve the same thing heating up steel and dunking it while red hot in oil. The oil combines with the steel, leaving a hard black coat, instead of rust red.

Any oil works( because it displaces oxygen.) I have used old motor oil, New WD40, Rem Oil, 3 in 1, etc. It all depends on the size of the part, and how best to get he job done. I used spray oil cans to blacken some vent picks I made by simply spraying the red hot part as it was held in my bench vise, or in my pliers. Since I file the point of the pick after its blacked, that part of the vent pick is bare metal. I did reheat such a pick after filing it to fit a particular gun, just to see how people liked a total " All Black" finish, vs. a partial Black finished pick, and people liked them both. With small metal parts, they heat up fast with a propane torch, so it doesn't take much time at all to blacken them. At one time I kept a can of oil sitting in my garage to use in knifemaking. The other projects were just something else I did and took advantage of the can of motor oil sitting there. Heat the parts up, and drop them in the can/pan. Pick them out after they cool using needlenose pliers. Dry them off with a rag, or paper towel. :thumbsup:

Back