• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

What is the most distasteful thig about building a rifle?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

squib load

40 Cal.
Reaction score
I cant call myself a gun builer yet,far from it.Ill call it putting parts together.What is the thing you hate the most when building your rifle.I do a lot seated at a card like table in the back room where the wife bannihed me .THe sawdust gets all over me.Every little while,I have to brush the junk in my trashcan.Is there anyone else suffering from this?squib

The pressure I put on myself to ensure every inlet is tight and perfect (or as perfect as it can be)... That and the entry thimble...

When I make an unfixable mistake, like a crooked inlay or such. I just want to scrap the whole project from that point. Bill

I really don't "hate" anything as concerns building BP guns or I wouldn't be doing it. The most tedious "job" is finishing a brass sand cast LR TG....seems it takes forever because I'm extremely fussy w/ this very important component which if done right adds much to the finished LR. Actually it takes 7-8 hrs but it seems many times longer. Oh,Oh....there is something I "hate" when building... stabbing or cutting a finger, etc. Awhile back I was outlining some carving, stepped back a little to rest and the Exacto knife w/ a new blade was dropped and "speared" my big toe...there it was sticking straight up until I pulled it out. Bled like a stuck pig. That I definitely "hated" when it happened...Fred

ys I did the same with one that had a very heavy handle on it right in to the top of my leg 40 yrs ago still have the scar

First thing i would do is straighten the lil lady out on who is being banished....... :wink:

One part I am not crazy about on building a longrifle is inletting & installing the buttplate. I just did a Acanthus Leaf buttplate on a Jaeger & they are not fun to do at all.(for me) I am real picky about buttplate fits. And not a straight place on these & you have to guess where ya will end up on 2 points. Very time consuming. I can do 2 & possibly 3 Lancaster buttplates in the same time I do one Acanthus Leaf buttplates.

Keith Lisle

I enjoy the whole process ! I guess having to leave the job :hmm: wheen you get on a roll , seems like it breaks your momentum , and takes too much time to get it rolling again . :thumbsup:

my least enjoyable part of the process is
1. finishing brass, boring and takes forever.
2. buttplate tied with RR entry pipe.

:rotf: :rotf: :rotf:

Sounds like me. I must have 20 pencils in the shop, can't ever find even one.

Now where is that screwdriver? I was just using it....

medic302 said:
my least enjoyable part of the process is
1. finishing brass, boring and takes forever.
2. buttplate tied with RR entry pipe.

I think I'd have to agree with this, Specifically the trigger guard.

I don't dislike some aspects, they're just painful.

Actually, the buttplate isn't as painfull for me as the entry pipe. But I haven't tried a difficult BP yet. :idunno:

Oh, and I never loose the tool/part is was just working on. :rotf: I crack myself so consistantly up.

Screwing up and drilling the ramrod hole...which are often the same thing.

First thing i would do is straighten the lil lady out on who is being banished.......
You obviously enjoy sleeping with the dog :rotf:
Chipping or slipping on an inlet is enough to make me wanna convert the thing to firewood and give up forever.

The buttplate doesn't give me that much of a problem. The triggerguard and RR entry pipe can be time consuming but I don't hate them. The toeplate is the one thing I dislike doing. Seems to take forever to get everything fitted just right. The thing about running out of time and having to stop is really annoying as well.

Thanks guys,Iam trying to learn engraving now.I might have just met my waterloo.A stiff upper lip and once more into the breach as my british friends would say. squib

The wait.

When I finally make up my mind that I want an Early Virginia in such and such a caliber, then I want it now !
:grin:

I'd say misplacing tools. . . . . .

Yeah, misplaced tools! :cursing: Especially when I find my chisel on the concrete floor where it fell and wrecked. Why do they always land on the corner of the cutting edge. :confused: :(

Back