• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

TVM Early Lancaster

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

w_dexter

36 Cal.
Reaction score
Been looking on TVM's website thinking about their Early Lancaster rifle,photos on the site arent that good...does anyone have any thoughts on these rifles? if you have any photos of the TVM early lancaster post them here if you like...thanks in advance

I ordered the Late Lancaster simply because it's a lighter/trimmer gun. Give Toni a call and talk with her, she'll give you more info than you can process. Also, let here know your likes/dislikes and your overall size. She can do wonders in helping you get a rifle that you'll like and that fits you. Don't be afraid to ask questions and she'll send you more pics if you ask. I ordered mine a month or so ago, and it's due out in Jan '11.
good luck

I agree with Bobber. give them a call. they are great people to deal with. there shop is about 70 miles from my house an i have been there an seen their work firsthand.they do great work useing quality parts.Id bet my last roundball you will be happy with a tvm rifle. good luck to you :thumbsup:

I am waiting any day now for the call that my TVM .54 Early Lancaster is done.....
I went with the "Early" style because I like the flatter wider buttplate and figured it would be a better match to the longer than standard swamped .54 barrel I wanted.
Mine is going to be pretty unique with some special carving I requested , inlays, wood patchbox, SP wood and cut for a 44" swamped Rice C weight "Heritage" barrel. Also went with the Chambers Deluxe Siler lock and Davis triggers.

They are willing to build you a gun as basic as a an "entry" level straight barreled catalog gun or as elaborate as your personal tastes dictate in a more custom offering like I went with.

I don't have the gun yet but I expect it to be top notch....I can tell you my dealings with Toni and Matt have been as well.

If it shows up anytime soon I will post up some pics for you and let you know how she shoots.

Matt,

I have the SAME barrel on my Early Bean rifle in .54 and it's a GREAT barrel. LC did the "Sharon twist" (1 in 72") with deep asymetrical grooves. Cleans easy, loads easy. shoots STRAIGHT!!! :thumbsup:

If I had the same Lancaster built I'd go for a Chambers Early Germanic lock. I've seen 3 original Dickerts in photos and the locks are a dead ringer. :hmm:

-Ray

With any builder ask them how early their gun is suppose to represent, then do some homework on time frames for types of locks carving styles types of engraving and such most "early" guns around are probably circa 1775-1780 by default of how and with what they are made, it is worth the time tocheck on what you are getting especialy if you are looking to go pre rev war, always confirm anything any builder proposes/advises there are ,many great builders and many great gun historians but few who are both.

I’ve had TVM build a couple of Early Virginias and I’m pleased with the end results.
I wanted strong good looking hunting guns and elected to pass on patch boxes, carvings, etc to put what money I had into the wood, barrels, and locks.
Due to their similarities to the Early Lancaster, here’s a couple of photos of a .58cal rifle and a .62cal smoothbore”¦a 3rd Virginia is in the queue with a matching pair of interchangeable Rice barrels, a .45cal and a .28ga.

.58cal RIFLE

1-0855CroppedRightFull.jpg

4-0859CroppedLeftFull.jpg

.62cal SMOOTHBORE...photo taken before any shooting or filing of sights

1FullRightbuttangle.jpg

3FullLeftbuttangle.jpg

Nice looking guns you have there..really nice in fact.....what grade wood is that? also what finish is on the barrel? thanks for posting the photos

roundball said:
... wanted strong good looking hunting guns and elected to pass on patch boxes, carvings, etc to put what money I had into the wood, barrels, and locks.
Mighty DAYUM good decision I'd say, as those look pretty impressive from here :thumbsup: ! Sweet wood!

Those curly maple stocks are what TVM calls SP++
(Super Premium Plus Plus)

The little bit of coloring on the barrels is what TVM calls "aged steel"

I have a few TVM guns and couldn't be more satisfied. Their basic catalog rifle is just their default gun so you can have just about any combination of wood, locks, barrels, etc. You can even give them the stock dimensions of a particular rifle/preference and Matt can build - just ask roundball. Your rifle can be as generic or PC as you want.

I want to have an early Lancaster built one day and I too, like the Chambers early Germanic. TVM will be the builder.

I have a TVM Early Lancaster with the TVM octagon to round .62 caliber barrel and German silver furniture. I love it, and it is very accurate. I would send photos, but I am overseas right now- can't wait to get home and shoot it! I find the wide buttplate makes for gentle recoil even with the stouter charges. Out of al the rifles I have, it is one of my favorites. :grin:

Them sure are some sweet lookin smokepoles I love the wood!!!!! Bet they shoot as good as they look. Wise choice.

wattlebuster said:
Them sure are some sweet lookin smokepoles I love the wood!!!!! Bet they shoot as good as they look. Wise choice.
Yeah, I don't need them dressed up beyond that for hunting and weekend shooting...thought a top notch piece of curly maple would say all that needed to be said and I'm completely satisfied...others mileage will vary of course.

The challenge on Matt & Toni now is to turn out a twin to the .62cal in a slightly lighter color...

I have a earley Virginia .54 half round barrel. Wanted it for a hunting rifle ordered plain stock iron furniture. Have had it for 5 years now love it. The fit and finish is great. Plain on geting a southern rifle next year. Will go to TVM when I order.

I have two TVM's. One Early Lancaster .50cal and the Late Lancaster .36cal. They are both absolutely lovely and shoot "NUTS ON". The only complaint that I have, I should have gotten them years sooner.

Vern

I've got a TVM southern Mtn 40 cal...lovely even my relatives who are not "gun" people remarked about how beautiful it is......can't wait to shoot it and like so many folks say matt and toni are great to deal with!!!!!!!

Back