• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

New cooking setup

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gizamo

45 Cal.
Reaction score
New to me, anyhow. :wink:

The andiron set has a rack for hanging a skewer across the pair. The skewer catches the hooks for the warming shelf, and the shelf rests against the andiron risers...pretty neat!

fireironset002.jpg

My wife and I are just starting out and this is just the set I need for cooking. Can you tell me where you bought it. We need the whole set up.

Unfortunately, it's an assembled set. Each piece was picked up at a different time and place. The windbreak is simple to make out of sheet metal.The two sides fold in and are the only moving parts. You notice that there is a 90 degree bend in it's base that allows you to put your dug sand onto, stabilizing it in the wind.

The fire andirons are unique, I've never seen another pair like them. They were blacksmith made. I'll post a picture of them without the warming shelf, so you can have it copied...if your so inclined. :wink:

fireironset001.jpg

The hand forged and welded skewer rod is one of a kind, I found that at a yard sale way up in Northern Maine...but it fits the andirons perfectly and is the rod the shelf sits on...

The grate is something I picked up at a yard sale and it sits nicely on top of the andiron rails. I use four long tent stakes to hold/stabilize the entire assembly on the ground. I stake it through the grate at it's outside corners. I still dig a small fire pit out under the middle of the grate.

When not cooking, you can use just the andirons to place logs on and create a good nightime fire..... :thumbsup:

Last weekend it got it's first real workout. Cooked all day on it for an event that over 100 folks attended. Set up a fire-iron set over it and made a Beef stew and a Pea soup, cooked a bunch of sausage, and corn on the cobb... Thing that was most noticeable was it's economy of wood use. I think the windbreak really makes a difference directing heat back to the fire...and it definitely helped while cooking in the breeze.

It looks fantastic and sounds like it does the job as well. :hatsoff:
Congrats!
Dusty :wink:

Back