• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Homemade Breechplug

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rhs

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Does anyone ever build the breechplug from scratch or is this something that definately should be purchased. I am trying to match a breechplug which turned out to be defective. This was noticed after inletting for the tang. I have been unable to find a plug with a flared tang which is wide enough to fill the inlet and I'd rather not add wood to the sides and the gap is too big to peen it to fit. It will be fairly easy to duplicate what I have. All of the breechplugs I've seen are unhardened low carbon steel and I have the machinery to build one from scratch. I'm interested in any opinions on material etc. or any concerns.

i have made a few using 1018 shafting and a couple from low carbon steel turned out on my metal lathe
make sure you use some kind of beding compound to check the fit

Thanks Captchee,
It tough to get answers on this type of question. I think for a lot of people its outside their comfort zone.

Hey to RHS..
How about the pitch of the threads ??
Can you duplicate that so it fits up inside the barrel the same as the old one ?? The flats have to line up; while at the same time the inside of the plug is face to face with the inside barrel surface.. Can't have any gaps inside; or yer gunna have problems big time !!!
:nono: :nono:
Let me throw this concept at ya, cause a friend of mine did it, and it worked really neat ..
If ya can't weld it yerself; take it to a guy or gal who can build up the sides of the tang with a T.I.G. welder.. This is done in fine increments, and you will have replaced steel on the sides where you need it..
:RO: :RO: :RO:
Then it's a simple matter of duplicating the width of yer wood gap; and transferring it to the tang.. A few file strokes, and wha-lah you is in business again .. :results: :results: :master: :master:
I hope this helps; if ya can't add to the wood, then add to the steel !! :what: :what: :imo: :m2c:
Winter well, and let us know how ya makes out
limpin'frog

use bedding compound ,,, it will tell you if you threads are seating correctly , better yet re tap for the same threads on you new plug , try to stay +1 or - 1 of the original threads .
if you have ever fitted your own plug you can build one .
that

Its not just the original rifles. I measured several new breechplugs and the quality of the threads is marginal at best. The new plug is finished and fitted and took less time than any on the other options which I considered bandaid fixes. I threaded and fit the plug to the barrel in the round and then milled the flats after getting the proper fit at the face and the tang. It is actually faster building a new breechplug than it is fitting a purchased one and the thread size can be matched to the barrel for a perfect fit. Thanks for the advice.

Latest posts

Back