• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Making Meat

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bear60

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Just wondering who made meat with their flintlock this past hunting season? Also what type of rifle are you using and what is your load?

For me I have a custom .60 caliber made in Kentucky. Barrel is a 38" Getz. I took a couple of deer at 50-60 yards. Load is 90 grains of 3F with a .590 ball and a .015 pillow ticking patch.

Bear60

In the "Traditional Muzzleloader hunting" forum you'll find alot of successful posts alot with pic's too. :)

Myself , I used a home built 1792 Contract rifle in .54 cal to take a nice buck at 20 yards and a button buck at 50 yards this year. Load was 90 gr of FFG with a .530 ball and a bear greased .018 pillow ticking patch.

I took a doe at 25yds. with my custom 50cal.J.P. Beck. 70gr. of 2F Swiss, .490 patched roundball. First Ml'er deer.

.54 Harpers Ferry repro. Button buck. 82 yards. 65 fff charge and prime. .015 tick. Thank you little deer.

Made a little meat myself this past season. 2 eight pointers and a 5 pointer. Closest shot was just a hair over 8 paces and the longest about 40 paces.
Nothing fancy here. I have 2 T/C renegades, both flinters, 54 cal. that I use for deer hunting. Use 100 grains 2F, a .530 roundball, 4F for priming and pillow ticking from Wal-mart.

I took a doe in the PA early season. Using a 50 cal flinter
that I made myself. First attempt from scratch. Doesn't look
the best, but she shoots good. Using 80 grs. of 2f and a
.490 round ball.

6 pointer, 30yds heart shot, .58cal TC Hawken Flintlock, 100grns Goex FFg, wonderwad, .018" pillow ticking, .570 ball

7 pointer, 50yds heart shot, .58cal TC Hawken Flintlock, 100grns Goex FFg, wonderwad, .018" pillow ticking, .570 ball

Doe, 40yds heart shot, .45cal TC Hawken Flintlock, 90grns Goex FFg, wonderwad, 255grn maxi-hunter

5 pointer, 20yds heart shot, .45cal Flintlock, 40grns Goex FFFg squirrel load, wonderwad, .018" pillow ticking, .440 ball

Grey Squirrel, 15yds, .45cal Flintlock, 40grns Goex FFFg squirrel load, wonderwad, .018" pillow ticking, .440 ball

Doe, 15yds heart shot, .45cal Flintlock, 40grns Goex FFFg squirrel load, wonderwad, .018" pillow ticking, .440 ball

Now just killin' targets every Saturday morning till the season comes around again
:redthumb:

I took two does with my .62 flinter, 130gr 2f, .60 patched round ball during the late muzzleloading season. My two buck tags had been used by then.

muzloading2004005.jpg
Muzzle%20loading%202004%20003.jpg

Congratulations NTWF on some straight shooting. I can see you're eating good this winter. I had an unfortunate encounter with a hemlock branch that used to stand between me and a doe that was 20 yards away. Also a very handsome lefty Jaeger rifle you got there. Did you build it or buy it?
Finnwolf

nice deer NTWF but you posted your pictures backwards. reason i know that is your lock is reversed. ::

Bear60,

congrats on your deer! :D

I took a buck and a doe with a .50cal flinter w/patched roundballs (85gr FFF) and a few limits of bushytails.

th_WEssDoe04.jpg

64c1af66.jpg

Good luck
Wess

Took an average size doe ,at about 40-50 yards , broadside lung shot , first day of the Pa. regular rifle season ,(didn't want to wait 3 more weeks for the Black powder season to try out my new rifle) .Just finished
building it in time for the regular season.
4-bore English Sporting Rifle , 30" tapered octagon bbl. (1 3/4" to 1 1/2") at muzzle . Flintlock, (so it is legal for the Pa. late muzzleloader season) . 1,750 gr ball ,
250 gr 2f powder, (for 1025 fps.).015" ox-yoke patch with wonder lube, 1/2" circle fly prelubed fiber wad.

PS. the shot that killed the deer was only the 5th. shot out of the gun. The first 4 shots were to check the sights , 5th one was at the deer . Must come from all my experience in installing sights (you spell experience "LUCK") that it was right on at 50 yds.

Joe

No deer this year, just squirrels but quite a few of them. Taken with a 36,flint Southern Mountain. PRB over 20 grs. fffG, ffffG for prime.

Vic

Back