• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Drill material for patches?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

C Barker

40 Cal.
Reaction score
I'm not sure where to put this so move it if it's here by mistake.

Awhile back someone mentioned using 40# drill for patching round balls. What the heck is drill? And what does "#" have to do with it? :confused:

I'm used to hearing it called pocket drill. Mine came from a yard goods store and measures .19". It's real tough stuff.
Regards,
Pletch

It's just a coarse fabric. For me it's better than pillow ticking and I've yet to see any of my used patches that were cotton drill rip. :thumbsup:

Nice ladies at fabric stores are generally over joyed to show us big hairy dummies where the drill and ticking are.
The JoAnnes chain of stores had the denim on sale this weekend. And the lady in line in front of us had a hand full of extra 40% off coupons.
Yeehah.

Good, tough stuff. Got mine from JoAnne's fabric. Use it in my 58 with a .562 ball.

I get an extra 40 yards with it. :haha:

Thanks everyone. Looks like I'm off to JoAnn's with my little micrometer in hand. Yippee!! Pletch mentioned yard good stores. Now what's a yard goods store? Do you mean a nursery type place or Agway or Ace or Lowe's? The .19 caught my eye.

Glad to hear it's tough stuff. I've been having some issues with little holes appearing when I use FFF Goex 60 grains. They are always just one per patch in the black (powder stain?)circle. Sometimes all the way through. Sometimes just barely starting. At first I thought the patches were cut, but this has been going on for some time now. Today I was using FF Goex 80 grains and no sign of holes or wear. Go figure. It's with both .015 and .018 ticking. To add to the confusion, the flinter shoots better with FFF! :idunno:

"Thanks everyone. Looks like I'm off to JoAnn's with my little micrometer in hand. Yippee!! Pletch mentioned yard good stores. Now what's a yard goods store? Do you mean a nursery type place or Agway or Ace or Lowe's?"

Yard goods store = fabric store, e.g., JoAnn.

A "Yard Goods" store gets its name because the goods are sold by the yard( 3 feet.) Fabrics are sold by the yard. Hence, a yard goods store is any merchanise store( used to include department stores, and stores like Woolworths, before specialty stores came into prominence selling just one product) and now fabric stores that sell cloth, needles, thread, sewing machines, and similar materials and equipment. Walmart sells cloth, as well as all kind of things that can be glued, or sewn to fabrics, and bric-a-brac.

I get my drill from Jo-Ann fabric too, it has the nice tight weave we all seek for patches.

Paul, that boy is gonna be looking for a long time to find a Woolworth store. The last of them closed shop around late 1997.

My first job other than farm chores, was as a partime stock boy at Woolworth's after school. I gotta say, learned alot of valuable lessons working at that store.

Even the Wallymarts around here stopped selling fabric.

zimmerstutzen said:
Paul, that boy is gonna be looking for a long time to find a Woolworth store. The last of them closed shop around late 1997.

My first job other than farm chores, was as a partime stock boy at Woolworth's after school. I gotta say, learned alot of valuable lessons working at that store.

Even the Wallymarts around here stopped selling fabric.

Well, they outlasted Grant's Department stores. :haha:

Ge whiz! Now I know why that load was so hard to push down. I dropped a decimal place - I meant to say .019" - but you all knew that.

Seriously, I should add that drill is the toughest patch I've used.

Regards,
Pletch

Pletch, I concur. It's tough stuff.

At Jo Anns it's actually called #40 drill as opposed to 40# drill.

Always wondered where they came up with that name for it. Thanks to Bakeoven I now know!! :rotf:

Now I am feeling old I remember all those stores Grants Woolworths Kresges and so on.Most of the fun in a yardage shop is measuring cloth with a micrometer,I have yet to have an employee ask what I was doing but I sure get some curious looks.By the way I have found the drill cloth to be far more consistent in thickness than pillow ticking.Pillow ticking seems to vary not only in the same bolt but from bolt to bolt.Your experience may vary.

Back