• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

T/C black mountain magnum shotgun?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

texcl

50 Cal.
Reaction score
Has anyone heard of this shotgun before? A guy offered to sell me one and I dont even know what it looks like, figured I could find it on the net but havent had any luck.

The Black Mountain Magnum came in wood or plastic --both have a thin recoil pad-- They Look like the New Englanger stock...The barrels interchange with the New Englander...

I have one and it is a very good gun. The standard Mossberg chokes fit them I bought a cylinder choke and everything loads through it just fine.

I emailed him that I would take it, but haven't heard back from him. I want a waterfowling muzzleloader that has a bit more range than my cyl bore new englander. I'm not wild about composite stocks but for the price I can't complain. So is the barrel longer or is it the same as a new englander?

well I bought it for $225 shipped, hope it's a duck killer because it sure aint PC. He says it's camo.

I really now nothing about that gun but possibly a New Englander stock will fit it. Just a thought.

Mine is camo with blued hardware. I have thought about putting wood stock on it but just havn't done it. I am going to buy some shot to try on waterfowl just not sure what will be in the budget. ITX would be nice but probably going to end up with steel. Load it up and have fun mine gets a lot of use over my beagles.

too bad there are no stock makers that make nice unfinished replacement stocks. I'd like to put a rose wood cap on one and checker the forearm and wrist. It would go a long ways towards improving the appearance.

There are a lot of stock suppliers who advertise they can duplicate any stock if you furnish the original

the problem is they generally want at least $125 set up fee for duplication, I guess if you went in with a bunch of guys to negate the set up fee it wouldn't be too bad, but I don't think it would be worth $200 for a New englander stock. Although it would be cool to get on in extra curly walnut and checker her put on a rosewood nose cap and treat it to a hand rubbed oil finish. I need to go out and buy another fowler kit, it would be money better spent. I am excited about this duck season, we have had a pretty good couple years here in ND for duck reproduction so it should be anouther outstanding year. Last year I took my mom duck hunting with me for the first time, and she limited out, that was without any practice shooting a shotgun since the early 80's. We had ducks cominging in every couple of minutes. This is at a lake that is about a mile down the road from my farm. Then the geese started coming in and thats when it got really exciting. On a side note has dunlap started shipping his half stock fowler kits yet?

If you haven't talked to Dick, you don't know. I would be surprised if he doesn't already have a " set up " stock pattern for a New England model now. The smaller wood makers of course can't be expected to have this. But, Dick has been in business for about 35 years now. He will treat you right. All you have to do is call him. If he wants a so-called "set up " fee, tell him you simply can't afford it, thank him for his time, and call someone else, who has been in the business a long time, like Dunlap. Check the suppliers listed on this forum under LINKS, found towards the top of the index page here, under Member Resources.

your probably right if he is using a computer controled rig he can store the info and replicate it on comand I'll give him a call.

Well, I received it, the stock is black composite :barf: but I'll tell you what I put a couple cans out at 35 yards and loaded 1 1/4oz of 6 shot and equal powder and toasted those cans. They were hit on average of 4 times per shot. pretty good in my book. Now I need to get a light modified choke tube for her for ducks and geese with steel shot. I can use that 6 shot load as is for pheasant and sharpies.

Where can I find Dick Greensides contact information. I have two black stocked New Englanders I would not mind restocking. Thanks for any information.

texcl said:
I emailed him that I would take it, but haven't heard back from him. I want a waterfowling muzzleloader that has a bit more range than my cyl bore new englander. I'm not wild about composite stocks but for the price I can't complain. So is the barrel longer or is it the same as a new englander?

Wait a minute here, do I understand correctly that you already have a New Englander? If so, why not just snap the new barrel into your old stock? I have several guns which have more than one barrel fitted to them and find I can only shoot one at a time anyway. :haha:
I've been looking for a 12 gauge New Englander barrel to supplement my rifle barrel. I've had a running search on Gunbroker for six months or so and last week one finally appeared with an opening bid of $75.00, not too bad I thought. But today it was already bid up to $170.58 with a day and a half yet to run!

You are still "new" here, and haven't found all the " Resources" available to you. If you go to the top of the index page to this forum, then scroll down to " MEMBER RESOURCES", then scroll down further to a thread labeled, "Articles, Charts, and LINKS", and click on the "LINKS" it takes you to a page with a long list of suppliers of MLing guns, parts, and related equipment. Now, search out Pecatonic River and click on that name. The Company website comes up , and it contains contact information. The Business is located in a rural area just NW of Rockford, Illinois. Dick is the owner. You can get his phone number, and email address off the webpage.

Enjoy the search, and take some time to review the " Charts" and " articles". Its incredible how much information CLAUDE MATHIS, the owner of this website has "saved" for members in that thread, that will help both new and older shooters enjoy this sport more. It took me a couple of weekends when it was raining cats and dogs, and cold to boot, to go through all the suppliers, and look at their websites, but I am impressed with all of them. Now, there are many suppliers of gear that I don't have any interest in buying, and that is OKAY. Its helpful to know that these people are around so that I can send friends, and acquaintances to the " Links", knowing that these folks can supply THEM with whatever they seeking. The longer you are on this forum the more you will see how frequently we get new shooters coming on and asking where they can buy "this" or "that", and at a price that won't steal the college fund for their kids. :shocked2: :grin: :thumbsup:

I forgot to mention that I had called Pecatonic River to see if they make a stock for the new englander, the awnser was no. I didn't ask about replicating since I don't want to spend that kind of money. I sold my New Englander when I got this gun. I'm having one of Dunlaps half-stock fowlers built for me so I'm not too ambitous.

Thanks for the education. It is greatly appreciated. I will be checking out the links. I have a few odds and ins I need to pick up.
Thanks
Ray

Back