• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Any Easy Ways To Make Pick and Pan Brush?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

luieb45

54 Cal.
Reaction score
At our last club shoot I was shooting with another member of the club who gave me some advice about shooting flinters and he let me borrow his pick and pan brush which was much easier than using my current cleaning patch and paper clip. :rotf: So I'm looking for some way of making a cheap but functional pick and pan brush. Thanks.

Here is one I made about 15 years ago. Real cheap ,real simple.
Use an empty case of your choice and punch the primer out. In this case I used the bristles out of an old scrub brush ( they don't melt so they ain't plastic) not sure what they are.
Get yerself a couple of pieces of brass wire or very small rod.
These bristles were pretty long so I bent the rod around the middle and shoved it in the case an out the primer hole and then bent me a loop to put on the chain or thong to hang it from.You could also use an old paint brush and epoxy them in the case after you put in your loop. If you do that first bend you rod alittle so it will stay in the case when you make your loop.
The pick is just another piece of rod with a loop on one end and a ground point on the other.
This set up has been working for me for a long time. Hope you can get some use out of it or maybe it will give you another idea.
Ron
pickandbrush.jpg

Luie, heres a diagram of how I did it. You can also put a touch of epoxy on the rod where it goes around the bristles but it isn't needed if yuou get your loop nice and tight.
pickandbrush001.jpg

Luie, If they are stiff enough they would work just fine. If you use them be sure and put some epoxy on to help hold them in.

Luie, in the thread above about the horn and bag combo, I've got a pick and brush in the pictures. I made the pick out of one of those large paper clips. I burned the silver off of it with a propane torch and then just bent it into a circle on one end. I made the brush by drilling out a deer antler tip, then I epoxied the bristles into the hole. I used the bristles off of one of those cheap disposable paint brushes.

Hawkthrower, great set of drawings! That looks like a nice simple set up using the casing.

Glad to be of some use. My momma always said I was really good at things ya couldn't make money doing. :idunno: :rotf: :thumbsup:

Hawkthrower,
You may not make any money of things but your friends will remember you for always!!! I love the simplicity of what you made. So simple we all should have thought of it, but did not! :bow:

Thank you for this. I will make one this week.

Cheers, Don

Back