• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Small Load Powder Measure

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HOGGHEAD

40 Cal.
Reaction score
I am looking for a powder measure for my new 36 caliber rifle. I am looking for a measure that allows me to do volume measurement in smaller increments of maybe 2 grains at a time. With a max. capacity of about 40 grains. Does any such measure exist?? Tom.

I picked one up recently, maybe at Cabelas, that comes close to your description. It's no bigger around than a pencil and maybe 2.5" long. Increments are in 5 grain jumps, but the leading authority on everything here on the site assures me any idiot can eyeball closer than that. :rotf: Call me an idiot for sure, but I could split the difference for 2.5 grains sort of, but beyond that it would be a SWAG.

"Traditions" has a test tube like one that I use.
It is also in 5.0 Gr increments but the clear side walls with engraved markings are easy to interpolate between measurements. :applause:

Here is the one I have.

Here is an all brass one from Traditions.

I can't recall where I got it, but I've got one even smaller- only goes to 25 grains and has no funnel, though.

I have used the Adjustable Powder measure with attached funnel, sold by The Gun Works, and now made by TRESO, since it was originally made by Tingle. They work just fine. The marks for the 5 grain increments are far enough apart that it takes NO great effort to adjust it to one or two grain increments. For revolvers and pistols, or very small bore rifles, this is important in developing a load. Its not particularly relevant when working with .45 and larger caliber rifles, and using BLACK POWDER. When people work up a volume load of powder for small bore guns, they generally will make a "fixed" powder measure to go with the gun, and use it exclusively to measure powder charges. You will often see these measures tied to a powder horn, dedicated to that particular rifle, and hunting pouch.

If you use any of the substitutes, it may be even less important to worry about a difference of a few grains. The 5 grain scale is more than adequate.

Back