• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

How destructive is a 32 cal ?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brstevns

36 Cal.
Reaction score
Finally got my little CVA squirrel rifle sighted in using 18gr Pyrodox. I am wondering how destructive a 32 cal is on squirrels?

For head shooting, no. But I'm here to tell you that 20 grains of Pyrodex P will just about cut a snowshoe hare in half on body shots. Out to 35 yards or so, anyway. Even if you drop down into the neck, you're going to lose the front shoulders to blood shot.

Bark them. That is how I shoot them with my 50 caliber. And that is definitely how I am going to do it with my new 36 caliber rifle. Boy this is gonna be fun!! Tom.

Can be nasty on bones!

3005671864_585e6963e6.jpg

That looks about right 410-er (Happy birthday, BTW!).

My rule of thumb for small game is to strive for loads that don't top 22 LR rimfire velocities, roughly 1150-1200fps. That little pop gun is deadly on small game, so any increase in ball diameter or weight can only be moreso. And I just don't need a flatter trajectory. If the slow load can shoot head smacking groups at 50 yards or less, it's a small game load.

Getting 1/2 inch at 25 yards. Most of my shots are not much more then this. How about on coyotes?

travis3 said:
How about on coyotes?

I'd pump it up unless you want to keep your shots inside 50 yards or so. I've whapped lots of yodelpups with 0 and 00 buckshot loads, and I hold shots inside about 30 yards. But that's due to pattern spread in my particular 12 gauge. If a pellet happens to hit in a "good" spot it will kill a lot further, but I just can't be sure of it. With the precise aiming of your 32, it ought to take care of my pattern issues.

I've shot hundreds and hundreds of tree rats with my .32 and never once did I feel that I was under gunned. Now I alternate between my .32 and my .36. Didn't really need a larger caliber. The .36 is just a whole lot prettier. Finally was able to afford a made-to-order rifle. Just work up a good load the rifle likes and then give them tree rats a great big headache. :thumbsup: Vern

Head shots are way to go. With your charge of 18 grains you are in the .22LR range more or less. All I can do is relate my experiences with a .32 and 30 grains of 3f. Mid body hits simply made a small hole going in and a larger hole on exit. There was no more damage than what I've encountered with a .22LRHP. If it hits major bones, all bets are off; THAT will cause destruction. But then so will a .22LRHP. Nothing is better than head shots on small game.

My experience is the same as Hnahi's. I have never blown a squirrel apart by shooting it through the body. Hitting bone is another matter.

Find a light load that shoots well at 25-35 yards, or so, then shoot at shorter and longer ranges to know where to hold at those distances will put game in the bag...in one piece.

God bless

Last edited by a moderator:
It's surprising how destructive that little .32 can be, but I've never blown a squirrel apart with one either. I use 20 grains of 3f in mine.

One difference between squirrels (which I shot a whole lot of before moving to Alaska) and rabbits of all varieties is "pose." How they are positioned when they stop.

I bet more than half the squirrels I shot were laid out flat rather than upright. But every rabbit I've ever shot while it was sitting still was upright, with it's forelegs down over it's body. Side shots to the body are going to connect with forelegs, and frontal shots are going to take spine.

I did about 90% of my squirrel hunting with a handgun, either a K-38 or K-22, and my only concern in hitting squirrels was the front half of the body, including head. If I could see any of that, it was often a dead squirrel with no real concern for meat loss. Using handguns today for snowshoe hares, it's still a headshot-only deal.

J.D. said:
My experience is the same as Hnahi's. I have never blown a squirrel apart by shooting it through the body. Hitting bone is another matter.

yes but cleaning a gut shot squirrel is a pain,not only do you have to deal with the mess,if you pull the carcuss into well then it really gets messy.a head shot squirrel can be cleaned in less than a minute and you have a clean good lookin piece of meat for the pan. :)

with my TC Cherokee 32 cal I have found 20 grains of 3F does no more damage than a 22 LR, just don't hit any bone.

Last edited by a moderator:
You are right. I've been shooting squirrel since the earth's crust cooled and never learned the easy way. I know better, now.

I've been skinning rabbits like that since I was a kid. The difference is I put a small cut behind the neck and peel them in the opposite direction to that 1st video.

Back