• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Working on a possibles bag

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kid_couteau

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Hi All

Bought a Tippmann boss stitcher the other day and trying to figure it out

Works good but you never realise how much work there is to making a bag till you try to hold stuff from 4 different directions with only two hands :youcrazy:

Anyway just sharing
Kid

Buy, or make your own, "Harness Vise". There are portable ones you straddle while sitting in another chair available, and they allow you to hold the leather to free up your two hands.

Kid Couteau said:
Hi All

Bought a Tippmann boss stitcher the other day and trying to figure it out

Works good but you never realise how much work there is to making a bag till you try to hold stuff from 4 different directions with only two hands :youcrazy:

Anyway just sharing
Kid

I just looked it up as I never heard of it before, I always hand stitch my bags so would never use such a contraption. Expensive just to make bags, if your using it to make other things, fine, otherwise, send it back get your money back. All you need to know is how to do a saddle stitch and do it by hand. :v

What Swampy said. :thumbsup:

Everything you need to do leather work.

Good, sharp scissors.
Over-stitch wheel.
Awl.
Blunt tipped needles.
Waxed linen thread.
Leather.

T.C. Albert's book Re-Creating the 18th Century Hunting Pouch is most helpful.

I can understand your feelings on hand stitching

I did it for years. I do a lot of knife sheaths and holsters so for that the machine is great.

I would post a link to my gallery but am not sure if it is ok to do that on this site and as a newbie do not wish to ruffle feathers.

Kid

Kid,

You can post that link in your profile.

As far as posting it in the open forums, it depends. If the stuff is made for sale, no. You can post those in the classifieds. If the stuff is made for personal use or to give away, yes.

BTW, welcome to the forum. :hatsoff:

Back in the '70s I would take leather projects in to a local Goodwill store that had a leather sticher for repairing shoes. They would charge like a buck. Shoe repairmen usually charged more but it was still reasonable. Now try finding a shoe repairman :surrender:

at lest one that is not the same cost as new boots, 125$? for a boot sole, what happen to 12.50 per and 10 each for labor?, and as far as stitching always done it by hand, hard enough too do, but if you can use one and know how, could you teach me? da should have looked at pic link first, thought it was a "stitch'er" not a "sec hand"

lucky #$#@@$%^% :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: always wanted one, how is it working for you? did you get new or used? :thumbsup:

Hi

I bought it new

Wanted one for years

When I sold off all of my AR-15s I decided to put some of the money on this.

It is an awesome machine but very finicky. You have to reset it for every size leather you work on.

Kid

Kid Couteau said:
I can understand your feelings on hand stitching

I did it for years. I do a lot of knife sheaths and holsters so for that the machine is great.

I would post a link to my gallery but am not sure if it is ok to do that on this site and as a newbie do not wish to ruffle feathers.

Kid

Not ruffling feathers at all. I think thats great for stuff like holsters and knife sheaths. I just think a bag looks better hand stitched than it does machine stitched is all. :v

I have been making pouches for 40 years, the best thing to remember is try to think 18th century- How would a frontiersman make one? I also can tell you that there is alot of work in a pouch, whenyou see a nice one for sale that looks like a cheap price it is- until a person makes some they don't have a real apreciatition for the time it takes to make one- i myself don't try and sell the because to me there is never enought money offered for them, so i have a good selection and the older they get the better they look. TGP

The Great Pinyone said:
I have been making pouches for 40 years, the best thing to remember is try to think 18th century- How would a frontiersman make one? I also can tell you that there is alot of work in a pouch, whenyou see a nice one for sale that looks like a cheap price it is- until a person makes some they don't have a real apreciatition for the time it takes to make one- i myself don't try and sell the because to me there is never enought money offered for them, so i have a good selection and the older they get the better they look. TGP

I know, I avg 20 to 24 hours sometimes more depending on the bag and I usually use Elk hide so when it's all said and done little to no money is made. And yes I think on how a person sitting on a porch in the early 1800's would make em.

Nice looking machine. I could use something like that myself.
For holding pieces in place, I use those spring loaded clamps that are fairly cheap and come in different sizes.

that you do, but with practice you will get the hang of it, do it enough you will be able to set up just by looking at your project. :thumbsup:

i look at it like this, so as to what mine look like, the one is made in the "brake camp lost in field" and need some thing to put all my stuff in , the other one "back home need to relax" fashion, one is a wham bam got er done the other is, well "let you know when done" im taking my time and by then i should know how to post pic's, got the Scottish in me going on theme, with a hint of native amercian, the bead work that will be on the flap and sides of bag, day use only, not for shooting, a work of art is not done in one day, unless you are gifted, and there are some that are , i however am not.

The fellow that taught me some basic leather working skills had one of these beasts. He said he knew he had to get one when a guy demoed it by stitching together 2 pieces of 3/4" plywood. While they don't give you that hand finished look that a lot of reenactors want, they certainly can make quick work of sewing hats, sheaths, holsters, etc. I look forward to seeing your finished work.

Back