• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Co2 discharger vs flint pistol

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
ChairForce1 said:
Anyone ever use one of these things? Does it expel the load with any serious velocity?

Yes and yes. Usually put some rags in a card board box and fire it off. I have had .58 cal ball go through two pieces of cardboard before. Gives a good "pop" with a new CO2 cartridge.

I've tried, with the needle attachment for flintlock vents, but with no success. All I did was empty CO2 cartridges blowing through the tiny gap between the needle & vent sides. Works great on caplocks, & exit velocity pretty much depends on how tight the load was.

I have used one on a 36, 50, and 58 flint, rifles with no problems. It does shoot the patched ball out with authority. I use an old piece of carpet to catch the ball.

Fergetful Jones said:
I've tried, with the needle attachment for flintlock vents, but with no success. All I did was empty CO2 cartridges blowing through the tiny gap between the needle & vent sides. Works great on caplocks, & exit velocity pretty much depends on how tight the load was.

With the flintlock seperate attachment? I don't know why, all I have are flintlocks, no caplocks and never failed to pop a load out of 3 different guns I have tried it on. All do have Chambers WL liners.

Kind of threadjacking, but does a discharger have enough power to expel a double load (powder, ball, powder, ball)?

Norinco said:
Kind of threadjacking, but does a discharger have enough power to expel a double load (powder, ball, powder, ball)?

I've never had reason to do it but I would be aweful surprised if it didn't work on a caplock. I could understand if a flintlock had trouble doing it.

I was at a shoot some years ago. A fellow had a new Harpers Ferry. He had a powder charge and 2 patched balls and broken jag stuck in the rifle. It took some time but I was able to blow the whole mess out with a C02 discharger. I use the big CO2s as sold by Cabelas. I don't think the small ones would do it. I had a ball go thru both sides of a plastic bucket, they are powerful. I have also used them to fire lap ML rifles. :thumbsup:

Swampy: don't know why either, but never got it to work with a flintlock.

Side story: last week I received an 1861 Rifle-Musket. Checked the bore & sure 'nuff, had a ball in it. Pulled out the CO2 discharger, & went through a couple cylinders with no movement. The flintlock adapter did provide a better seal in the cone, but still no luck. Did pull the ball w/ a screw type ball puller & brass range rod. No powder behind it. Someone was shooting this antique a few years ago (obvious from the ball, no oxidation), forgot the mantra of powder first, tried a few times to get the ball out, quit, & left it in. :shake: Once the ball started it came out easy. You can guess what the bore looked like after I cleaned it out.

Back