• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

chunk guns

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

flaming canvas

45 Cal.
Reaction score
Just starting this project. I have a barrel. Any thoughts on sights, stock configuration etc. Pix would be awesome.

0bab77e8.jpg

It wasn't built as a chunk gun but it would make a pretty good one I think.

It's 1 inch straight octagon, .54 caliber GM barrel gives some real heft to it and the Large Siler lock provides good ignition.

It weighs almost 10 pounds which makes it a bit heavy for carrying around in the woods but resting on a log and poking holes in a target should be no problem for it at all.

It's one weakness as a chunk gun might be its regular single trigger but it has a fairly light 3 pound pull that releases very crisply.

The inlay? Folks who know me know I can't build a gun without at least one inlay on it. :rotf:

(Actually, it has 3 of them. :grin:)

Here is mine... Based on an "early Virgina" with 1-1/8 barrel, I also used a Leman trigger guard which is more comfortable shooting on a log.

100_1433.jpg

100_1425.jpg

The sights are just a plain rear sight from Track

100_1432.jpg

The front sight I milled from a piece of 1"x1" cold rolled

ohio ramrod said:
Where do you shoot that allows shaders? Most places I shoot don't allow them.
It's probably a local club rule. Some shooting /muzzle loading clubs allow them....some don't. I have an original rifle that I THINK might have been used as a chunk/over-the-log gun. It has a Remington cast steel 1-1/8" octagon barrel and no provision for a ramrod. That is, it has no under rib or thimbles. Like Zonie's rifle, this one has the single trigger, also has a back action percussion lock.

I am also building a new chunk gun, though I am waiting for the barrel (1"x48" .45). In the mean time I had set my old southern flintlock up as a chunk gun. The sights that I have ended up with are a Swiss front sight (pin head) and a rear sight that I made myself which has a shallow round bottom notch.
I am not suggesting that you use these sights, but suggest that you do what I did; whish was go to the range with several different sized and colored paper spotters and several front and rear sights and a roll of masking tape. Then post your spotters and start looking at them to choose onr. Then start taping front sights on to the top of your barrel and looking at them. once you've chosen a front sight, do the same with rear sights. This is the only way to learn what works FOR YOU.
The front sights allowed are blade post and pinhead (or bead), no holes or plastic light enhancers. The back sight must be an open (no Apperture)nonadjustable sight and it can be no closer than 6" to the breech end of the barrel.
I tried doing some tests at home in my shop before I went to the range, and what my "home results" were totally misleading. A white blade front looked good in the shop and was useless at the range (for me).
As to the stock, since chunk is shot prone, less drop than an offhand gun is usually preferred. After I drew my initial stock pattern, I band sawed a mockup out of a 2x10 and tried it out laying down behind my chunk. This is extra effort, but saves finding out that you are not quite happy after sawing maple.

Okieboy

Mighty fine lookin weapons, gents. I'm not in a real hurry to get mine going. The barrel is 54 cal 33 inches long and 1 3/16 across the flats. It was made by Judge Resley and appears to be unfired.
Have to be up by Minneapolis in July anyway so I will make the side trip to Elk River and drool over parts to get her shooting.

I'm leaving here in a few minutes to meet up with the other fellers. We'll be there Lord willing this afternoon. We usually camp up on the high ground. Hope to see you there.

Back