• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Ballistol

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gotspark

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Does anyone happen to know if there is a difference between the ballistol lube multi-purpose and the ballistol multi-purpose sportsmans oil? Both being liquid and used for patch lube.Thanks

Gotspark said:
Does anyone happen to know if there is a difference between the ballistol lube multi-purpose and the ballistol multi-purpose sportsmans oil? Both being liquid and used for patch lube.Thanks

It is the same lube in a different package.

Got a couple of cans...and I can not believe this stuff isn't on more shelves than it is.The second line on the back of the can says Dissolves blackpowder residues. Emulsifies w/ water,excellent patch lube.On the mix ratio chart it gives the ratio for cleaning black powder residue. Plus it's good for a couple of dozen other things as well.It's kinda cool it goes on to say cleans machine gun corrosive ammo residue.Good stuff! :applause:

Yup...great stuff. It works on many different things. It is also good for spinning reels, added to gasoline to remove water from the tank, it has a large list of uses! :thumbsup:

Yea, I would've liked to had this around years ago just never heard of it. Gonna like having this around,it would be nice if it works out for my patches, I mixed it for a cleaning solvent and have some patching mat.drying as we speak to try out when this rain stops.

flintlock62 said:
Yup...great stuff. It works on many different things. It is also good for spinning reels, added to gasoline to remove water from the tank, it has a large list of uses! :thumbsup:

One of the less widely acknowledged uses is as a wimmin repellent. Sure keeps 'em out of your man cave! :blah:

JeffinNZ said:
flintlock62 said:

One of the less widely acknowledged uses is as a wimmin repellent. Sure keeps 'em out of your man cave! :blah:
Some of us were born with an integral repellent unit. Propellant is one bag of sliders, use as necessary. :grin:

Ballistol is great stuff, I've been using it for years. Lots of uses - I use it mostly for oiling my barrels after cleaning, but have also used it in lube mixtures. It is great, great stuff.

:hatsoff:
Spot

I use it on my guns as well. My son says I protect them with "dirty feet". The smell is unusual but the protection is GOOD.

Great stuff but for some reason the batch I have mixed up a few month old is starting to turn brown, its a nice light tan right now?

A couple of questions for anyone familiar with Ballistol. I've seen it locally in spray cans-barricade as well-and was wondering which is the best way to buy and use it, spray or pour bottle?

Secondly, back in the mid 60s an H&A underhammer I bought came complete with a few small, black cans of a strange smelling cleaning fluid which was suppose to be for patch lube and cleaning, too. Is there any possibility this is Ballistol? I still have a can of it left.

hanshi said:
A couple of questions for anyone familiar with Ballistol. I've seen it locally in spray cans-barricade as well-and was wondering which is the best way to buy and use it, spray or pour bottle?

Secondly, back in the mid 60s an H&A underhammer I bought came complete with a few small, black cans of a strange smelling cleaning fluid which was suppose to be for patch lube and cleaning, too. Is there any possibility this is Ballistol? I still have a can of it left.

I prefer the non-arisol, myself. Don't know about the black can stuff though. Ballistol has been around a very long time.

I bought the pour bottle so I can make up the ratio mix for my patches, I also mixed up a batch for cleaning patches and put it in a little spray bottle and that seems to work really well so far. That mix is 1 part ballistol,1 part lestoil or pinesol,2 parts hydrogen peroxide,20 parts water.A shot glass or the like works nicely.I put that in a canning jar, it seals nice.

I use Ballistol mixed with water for cleaning. After drying thoroughly, I use aersol Ballistol (if I have it) or straight Ballistol for exterior and bore protection. Excellent results :thumbsup: :thumbsup: Still use wonder-lubed pillow ticking for shooting patches.

If anyone is interested midway Usa has it on sale in a 16 oz can for $7.99 until March 31st. Sorry about not posting this earlier. :redface:

Gotspark - I used to getMidway catalogs for over a decade when shooting modern stuff, but haven't in quite awhile, so no catalogs. If you please, what's their Tel #? Many Thanks - Marc

Marc: Use the " Links" thread that you can find under " MEMBER RESOURCES", towards the top of the index page to find a list of suppliers. Click on the name, and you bring up their webpage, with toll free phone numbers for most of them, as well as a current catalog. Its one of the great assets of this site. :thumbsup:

Back