• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

We need a magazine like.............

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Skychief

69 Cal.
Reaction score
......'Black Powder Hunting' that went belly up a couple years ago. I could do without the inline articles. The magazine just had a lot of quality to it and many well written articles every month. Anybody else miss this magazine? :idunno: Any chance we will see another magazine of its quality about our passion (Muzzleloading)?

Maybe "Traditional Blackpowder Shooting" I wouldn't mind sharing with the BP cartrige guys, they are our next of kin and tend to stay traditional.

Has anyone ever read "The Civil War News"? It is a bimonthly newsprint publication featuring news on reenactments and historical preservation. There is a column in this paper called "Black Powder White Smoke". I love to read this column because the writer speaks only of traditional civil war arms and loads for them for skirmishing. A magazine full of writing like this but with all traditional bp shooting included would be excellent, I think.

The old Black Powder Report was a magazine about traditional Buckskinning and included stuff about original black powder cartridge guns. Was run by the Baird family as I recall. Heard somebody ran him into the ground suing over an unfavorable product review he did. He won the case, but went under paying the defense costs.

I think that part of it is that Black powder shooters have factioned off into trekkers, rendevouser's, Cowboy shooters and black powder cartridge fans. The ASSRA covers the muzzleloader target and schuetzen folks. Muzzle Blasts is about the only general interest muzzleloader mag left. The modern newstand muzzleloader hunting mags seem to be paid endorsements of various in-line products and super expensive bullets and non-powders. What might be really good, is if some one could get some of these publishers to cooperate with a bundle joint subscription deal. Pay one money and get three or four of the various mags.

So,is there a mag for flinters out there? If so I would like to hear about it.Thanks.I'm getting the idea from the responses what mags there are are mostly inline stuff w/ a sprinkling of flint.

I still have a cardboard box full of my "Black Pwder Cartridge Rifles" and "Black Powder Report" magazines from the 1980s. They were good and I still refer to them now and then. I subscribed when I bought my first trapdoor back around 1982. I even wrote a few articles for them. A lot of good reading.

Sure, but I am more interested in target competition, firearm construction and operation than in some guy's walk through the woods in Missouri. Or what pot a guy uses to boil corn.

The news stand mags seem devoted to ads and plugs for inlines and fake powders along with $5 dollar bullets.

Here in Aus .we basicly have no mags.that cover ML .Muzzelloader is available through one of our black powder shops & Backwoodsman on news stands, if you order it. Our SSAA (our NRA) mags maybe once or twice ayear run a test on a cheap rubish itie gun and that,s it. :redface:

I sure miss the old Dixie Gun Works annuals. I have all of them from 1985 to 2006. Also have a stash of Blackpowder Hunting back issues, but one has to hold one's nose and quickly shuffle past the inline stuff.

I'll put a plug in for "On the Trail". The articles focus on eastern long hunters and also the western fur trade. It is full of stories submitted by people who participate in traditional muzzleloading activies. There are articles on how to make various accoutrements and I'm afraid not nearly enough articles on how to build a rifle or smoothbore. "Muzzleloader Magazine" does have a continuing series of articles on gunsmithing.

On the Trail Magazine

Back