• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Crisco! The thick, white type?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

token tory

45 Cal.
Reaction score
OK I'm getting into this here & after a trip to the range last time I (after a thorough cleaning) used Crisco shortening as a "grease" in a couple of places where it seemed better suited than the Crisco "oil", mainly the rammer slide piston & cylinder axis pin.

I pulled the pistol revolver out today to check it & the shortening seems to have thickened to a really waxy consistency. :barf: :shake:

Am I missing something here? Is Crisco shortening JUST a ball sealer, or is it also a grease?

just a ball sealer, not a lube for the moving parts. learned this the hard way, use olive oil. i use norton oil. just a dab on a cleaning patch, dose the hole gun. use clean dry patch to remove any film.

Do yourself a favor and clean off the Crisco, especially from the center pin, before firing the revolver. That waxy hardened Crisco will cake-up with burnt powder and make a heck of a crud problem! I'd hit it with a hair dryer to melt the Crisco, but put some old newspaper underneath first, before the floodgates open-up! Then a good soap & water treatment, then dry and a light coat of oil of your choice. I use Kleenbore for metal-to-metal contact points on my wheelguns, but any decent oil will do. The trick is to give it just a light coat, so the burnt powder doesn't set-up right away. :wink:

If you think that you need more help, please get back to us!

Dave

Crisco works great for a lube, but only when you're going to be shooting the gun right away. I use a light gun oil for storage, but lube with Crisco before heading to the range. The Crisco keeps the fouling soft and keeps the gun from binding up.

As you've learned, Crisco will turn to a hard, waxy mess if you leave it out for a long time.

Yes, :haha: but the famous Barberton chicken and grandma's apple pie crusts both point out that lard is better! :hmm:

Some folks are really weird about doing things in -what they think-is the "'ol timey way"rather than using common sense. I am absolutely not referring to anyone on this forum; I'm just making a very generalized observation so please bear with me. These PC police types will also fuss over minutia, extol the virtue of "bar squeezings" for gun lube and other such nonsense just because it was done that way 300 years ago. The fact that relatively few of the old guns survived in anything like fair condition doesn't seem to soak in. They will also fuss over why a rifle isn't a true, pc Lancaster as if they had studied more than two or three originals which vary as much as the weather even in the same small community. All this time they have rolls of toilet paper in their tent, acetamenophen for headaches and an modern asthma inhaler in their pocket. "boys and girls, our word for the day is 'hypocrite'; can you spell hypocrite?"

What I'm getting at is while Crisco makes excellent ball lube in the cylinder, there are many, many better gun care products than what comes from mink guts. Think on it. Our guns are precious, expensive and often irreplaceable. No way would I subject my fine arms to questionable home remedies. I use the best gun oils and rust preventatives I can find. We all do what works for us and that's okay; but taking unnecessary chances? Not on your life. Modern science has moved on; we no longer "bleed" sick people or put a knife under the bed to "cut" the pain of childbirth. Take advantage of these modern "a little dab will do you" products. Save Crisco for ball lube and use the best for those fine guns. :idunno: :hmm:

I no longer own a c&b pistol but the ones I use to shoot used Crisco and various greases over the ball. The last one I owned I dispensed with grease and used prelubed wonder wads. For rust protection and lubrication I used the same gun oils that I used on my modern arms.

For rifle ball patches I've used spit, Crisco, DGW Black Solve and my favorite-and what I use now-Hoppes #9 Plus patch lube. For cleaning/rust prevention/lubrication I use various good gun oils by Hoppes, Outers, Butches, Remington and others along with WD40.

While seeing the possibilities of your argument, I'll just point out I'm learnin' here & like most folks of "Average Intelligence" :blah: I'm going to make mistakes, such as this. :rotf:

That's fine! It is a part of the learnin' process to mess things up, as long as the student learns from the mistake.

I do have quite a lot of "modern" stuff for this setup, mostly because I haven't found the right (at least yet) period looking dingus.

I have modern prefabricated lube, both as a lube & as pre-squished in wads. My shooter's pouch is made of ballistic nylon & has zip fasteners :youcrazy: My pistol is carried in a banking bag made of synthetic fabric, & the pouch make me the only armed marsupial in the whole state. :hmm:

I carry a *gasp* plastic shooting box to the range with bumper stickers that say "HOW'S THAT HOPE & CHANGE WORKING OUT FOR YOU NOW?"

So I guess I'm not losing touch with the possibilities of modern products while playing with antiques. :surrender:

You do make a good point though. :hatsoff:

I need one of them thar bumper stickers!

I also want to get one that says, CHANGE IS ALL I GOT LEFT...I'M FROM JERSEY!

Dave

There is no "Old Jersey" just a small island called plain ol' "Jersey". I believe the correct spelling is "J-o-i-s-e-y":doh:
:blah:

Greetings from across the pond, Old Jersey!

Can't "read" the cockney accent over the net.

Have a nice weekend!

Dave in NEW Joisey :rotf:

Colonialist said:
While seeing the possibilities of your argument, I'll just point out I'm learnin' here & like most folks of "Average Intelligence" :blah: I'm going to make mistakes, such as this. :rotf:

That's fine! It is a part of the learnin' process to mess things up, as long as the student learns from the mistake.

I do have quite a lot of "modern" stuff for this setup, mostly because I haven't found the right (at least yet) period looking dingus.

I have modern prefabricated lube, both as a lube & as pre-squished in wads. My shooter's pouch is made of ballistic nylon & has zip fasteners :youcrazy: My pistol is carried in a banking bag made of synthetic fabric, & the pouch make me the only armed marsupial in the whole state. :hmm:

I carry a *gasp* plastic shooting box to the range with bumper stickers that say "HOW'S THAT HOPE & CHANGE WORKING OUT FOR YOU NOW?"

So I guess I'm not losing touch with the possibilities of modern products while playing with antiques. :surrender:

You do make a good point though. :hatsoff:

:surrender: I also use a bag with a zipper and velcro; but it is made of the finest imported Italian nylon. :redface: Does that count? :idunno:

Not according to the labels on the can of shortening & the bottle of oil! Both list the Sodium at 0%.
Where are you getting your information from that says there is salt in Crisco?
Unless you use it after frying up some good ol' bacon :rotf:

Back