• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

What's your favorite caplock?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ebiggs1

69 Cal.
Reaction score
This might be fun.
Here are the rules:
You can have ONLY one. No “also”, or “or”, or “plus”, or “and”, nothing additional just one.
No, depends on the situation or circumstances.

Your favorite cap lock.
Your favorite load.
Your favorite cleaning method, and
your favorite place.

Don’t break the rules just one and only one of each item.
Remember there are no right or wrong answers just what would be your choice.
This will not be totaled or tallied. If you are a post reader and not a replier this is your chance to tell us your favorite.

Mine are”¦”¦”¦
My 50 cal TC Hawken that I made from a kit in 1970.
70 grs of Pyrodex RS and CCI cap with .490 Bore Butter patched round ball.
Very hot water and Rem oil.
Right here in eastern Kansas.

We did this on the rock lock side and many suggested a picture but this is not
a requirement. Remember just one no excuses!
EB

mine is bobcat50, 50gr3f .15patch cci caps.490 round ball,bore butter, hot water, norton oil. right here in slc utah.

.50 Cal Lyman Trade Rifle.

370 grain T/C Maxi-Ball, .50 pre-lubed wonder-wad on top of 72 grains 3Fg Goex, CCI Magnum #11.

Butch's Black Powder Bore Shine, then hot water at home, then Barricade, then invert on paper towel.

Standing next to my Eagle Scout while we're both making SMOKE!

"Your favorite cap lock.
Your favorite load.
Your favorite cleaning method, and
your favorite place."

My Favorite Cap is a modified T/C Renegade with an aftermarket stock, a T/C roundball barrel, an aftermarket dovetailed adjustable rear sight, and a German-silver blade for the front.

Fav Load is a .535 home-made round ball over a .018 T/C prelubed patch over 90 grains of Pyro RS ignighted by a #11 CCI magnum cap.

Favorite cleaning method is a bucket or warm soapy water followed by a couple of patches of alcohol to get the water out, a spritz of WD-40 for around the rib and dovetails, and oiled up with "RIG".

My favorite place would be those foot hills of the Rocky Mountians that have whitetails as well as mule deer.

My 58 cal GRRW Hawken, 36" barrel.
120 grains of Goex 2f or 100 grains of 3f.
Cold water and a dash of mild soap.
Alaska, of course.

Favorite cap lock: Bedford County .36

Favorite load: 22 gr. Swiss FFFg with .350 dia. 000 buckshot and denum patch lubed tith Old Zip (have used liquid lube called Falkenberry Juice)

Cleaning: Hot soapy water followed by Ballistol

Shooting range: Behind house.

PICT0391.jpg

If this pic does manage to post, the US M1841 is the rifle at the top.
I have two serious candidates, an H&A .45 underhammer and a USM1841 .54. Tough choice but here it is:

US M1841 .54 Mississippi rifle
.530 ball, .016/Hoppes #9 Plus, 80grains 3f Goex
warm soapy water, dry, WD40, best gun oil I find
NE Ga. deer woods

Jon Browning Mountain Rifle -.50 cal

50 gr GOEX 2f - .495 PRB

Windex w/Ammonia, then hot soapy H2O at the house and oil swabbed

BLM land on the west side of Utah Lake

Traditions Deerhunter .45 1 in 66" ROT
.440 PRB
75 grs WANO PP

Regards

Kirrmeister

Kirrmeister said:
Traditions Deerhunter .45 1 in 66" ROT
.440 PRB
75 grs WANO PP

Regards

Kirrmeister

Forget something.

Solvent only mehtod
Area around the Taubenberg, southern Bavaria, Germany.

Traditions .50 cal Kentucky Rifle

60 grains 3f goex, .480 hornady ball, .018 mink oil greased patch and a #11 remington cap

field cleaned with butch's bore shine, then hot soapy water, followed by rem oil

the timbers and prairies of western illinois

Gun : custom made (by myself )Douglas barrel, T.C. Patriot lock,and T.C. hawkin triggers
Load: 40 grain FFF Goex, . 445 ball, with .016 Lubed patch.
Cleaning method: Hot water, a little soap and oiled after drying with several flannel patches
Place: back yard on the farm

favorite caplock: Zoli Zouave, favorite load: .577 Rapine minie, 40 grains fffg, Favorite cleaning method: water, favorite place: HOME!

GPR .54
.530 ball, .015 lubed patch
Joys of hooked breech, 1/2 full coffee can with warm soapy water,breech end in water, flush, rinse, dry,lube.
Private land here in Ct.

CVA mountain rifle .50 cal

90 grn ff ,.490 prb

hot, soapy water, light machine oil in the bore.

Guadalupe Mt. southern New Mexico

Back