• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Next step up flinter

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ozark57

45 Cal.
Reaction score
After getting back into ML shooting and getting my feet wet with flinters, I am wanting to move up. I have a .45 Traditions and while it is OK I am ready to pass it on and get into a full stock .40. I do not have an unlimited budget, but I know I will have to pay for what I want.
What is out there in the semi-customs for around a grand? What makers offer a gun in this range? I don't see a lot of flinters on Gunbroker. I got lucky and picked up my custom .36 Kentucky percusion at a really good price.

I'm going to go a little "sidways" on you, in a direction you're probably not expecting.

It certainly depends on your deer hunting terrain and the small game opportunities in your area, but have you considered a 62 caliber (20 gauge) smoothie?

I just got back in from an afternoon chasing snowshoe hares with my Brown Bess (75 caliber/11 gauge), and I had more fun than a barrel of monkeys. I'd rather be shooting something a little smaller, so now it's a tossup between a Pedersoli 20 double capper and a flint fowler. And a tough choice too, because I do all my deer shooting within the normal effective range of a smoothie.

Hi,
Take your time, you will find something, if you wait.
I just picked up a beauty on one of the auction sites.
A semi custom full stock cap gun in .50 cal. never fired, not a scratch.
For $500
You can't buy the parts for that.
Put your money aside and wait your chance.
I do have several fine custom rifles, some I built, others I bought.
I wait for a bargain on parts, to build what I want.
Just don't be in a hurry to make a mistake.
Old Ford

I bought a very nice in-the white .40 Lancaster from Tip Curtis a few years back.

After buying the required stain, finish etc. the price was still in your range.

Salt

Ozark,

If I were you Id be checking out your backyard.

Muzzle loader Supply is in Ozark AK

The Gals at MLS are top notch. They can sell you raw building materials to finished firearms.

Thanks for the tip Brownbear. I just bored the bbl. out on my TC Hawken to .62 smooth and agree with you 100%. I want a .40 flinter for all around target and maybe some hunting.

Have you tried any of the custom builders? I know of several who would build you a rifle for a tad over a 1000.00.

Look at TVMuzzleloading They have a Xmas special .62cal Lancaster rifle for 999.00

P

As it happens, I was given a lead on a custom Southern mountain rifle and I am meeting in the morning to check it out and most likely bring it home. It is a .50 and it's a fliter. I sold my Spanish flinter last week in the TML classifieds to help finance. It was really a good gun and it taught me a lot, I'm just ready for a custom.

Check out TVM. They advertise a tennessee poorboy rifle parts kit that is very reasonably priced and and they will probably furnish it "in the white" for a modest fee.

Latest posts

Back