• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Talk me out of this.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
. . . it seems almost more trouble than it's worth.

That's for sure.

Like growing your own vegetables.

Like owning a sailboat instead of a powerboat.

Like baking homemade bread or brewing your own beer.

Like eating venison instead of McMeat.

Like smoking a cigarette instead of a pipe.

Like fishing for trout instead of panfish.

Like playing baseball instead of watching it on TV.

Too much trouble. ::

Stumpy I really didn't word that right.
All the replies I got made me decide that I really do want to keep it, so I will.
Bushwhacker, I will meet up with ya'll, hopefully next time.
I can always find a .45acp, and I also want a 1858 revolver lamost as bad, maybe more.
I guess I am just feeling the need to get outdoors. Every weekend either someone is sick, or the weather really sucks, or something else.
I WANT SPRING to get here!!! I need sunshine in my face, a warm south breeze and no chores.
I got this Hawken for a really good price, could never replace it for near what I paid, and I would be a fool to sell it.
Forgive the lack of backbone. It was temporary.
I feel better now.
Thanks,
Jim

Ah doan member las time ah huntted weeth won ar them thayar surposertory guns. Must er bin bach wen ah had mah owen teeth.

Hey, Rat All ya gotta do is look around you. A few years back they tried to make a new Coke, it didn't work everybody wanted the real thing. Only a few liberal Democrats eat Hydrox, the rest of us want OREO'S. Ya gotta stick with the original. It ain't Black Powder Shooting if it ain't Black Powder in the Barrel. It don't even sound right "I going out Triple 7 shootin" "I'm gonna load my Pyrodex rifle" :crackup:

pepper
betwixed me and my unlaws our collection covers 250 years of history,and evertime i pick up and hold an old gun whether it's a garand,m-1 carbine,or my flinters,for a moment i go back in time and reflect on the men/women who used them.thats what makes it even more special about bp rifles,they are a living memory of those who went before us whether battle or survival to make this country of ours so great.
i barely get time to shoot once a month,but i burn a lot of powder when i do.
even if you only get enough time to fire one round the smoke and smell will chase your melencholys away .

Pepperbelly,
I think you are suffering from cabin fever...
Your mindset will change if ya jest get out and Shoot that Smokepole ! EVERY body here is telling you to keep it and most of all Use it....

**** WEST VIRGINNY SCROUNGER ***

Well so much for the pixie dust.

I have been shooting these things for around since 1976 or thereabouts and there is alot to be said for the ML.

1. Is that they are not what you are used to.

2. Once you are used to them they can be a hoot to shoot

3. They can be remarkably accurate and I often out shoot guys with AR15 and Garand style weapons at 100 yards. That is because I can shoot and they cant it has nothing to do with the gun.

4. ML

Yeah, I think I'll keep it.
I gotta get outdoors. Here lately the weather is nice enough to work in- I work outside all day, but the weekends suck.
I haven't been fishing in so long I don't know if I remember how to tie the knots.
Jim

Hey, Brushbuster --
You got it right. That's the best thing about BP; getting connected to American History, and even American Literature. I used to teach the latter back when I was a professor (left 20 yrs. ago); what got this old New York City boy into black powder was James Fenimore Cooper & "The Deerslayer". Some kid asked me why Deerslayer didn't take a 2nd shot at an Indian. Well, I knew ol' Hawkeye had a single shot rifle, but didn't know much about it. I started investigating. Took my first shot just so I could explain it to my students. Got hooked. Now own flintlock rifle, pistol, & 1858 Remington revolver and freeze my fingers off reloading in frigid weather. Nothing better. Me and Deerslayer understand each other.

-- ValleyForge

If I never see an M1 again it will be too soon.The TC Hawken thats another story,go shoot it,you will be hooked for sure!

. . . it seems almost more trouble than it's worth.

That's for sure.

Like growing your own vegetables.

Like owning a sailboat instead of a powerboat.

Like baking homemade bread or brewing your own beer.

Like eating venison instead of McMeat.

Like smoking a cigarette instead of a pipe.

Like fishing for trout instead of panfish.

Like playing baseball instead of watching it on TV.

Too much trouble. ::

Stumpkiller - Well spoken, brother of the nitrous dust! You should sell printed copies suitable for framing. ::

i have the same rifle with a new maple stock on it and it does shoot good....

BOB
Is that a fintlock pic in percussion forum! :shake:

:crackup: :crackup: :crackup: :crackup: :crackup:

Woody

i have the same rifle with a new maple stock on it and it does shoot good....

154672.jpg

i dont even own any other [center fire guns ] anymore just black powder....and hunt all the seasons i can with a firearm with it and i'm also getting ready to build my own lancaster .54....guess what i just got into bp sept 2003 and have been bit real bad....i don't even look at other types of guns....i'm sure once that first shot of black powder goes off you'll be hooked :thumbsup:...................bob

Where did you get that maple stock? That really makes that rifle look good!
Jim

Yeah, I think I'll keep it.
I gotta get outdoors. Here lately the weather is nice enough to work in- I work outside all day, but the weekends suck.
I haven't been fishing in so long I don't know if I remember how to tie the knots.
Jim
once you learn you never forget.for example i havent tossed a rope at a calf crittur in 20 years.the wife and i got free tickets to a big bbq cook off, lo and behold there was a calf ropin goin on.to make the story short i tried it just for grins and expectin to be humiliated.to my suprise i caught thet calf all three times on the first[url] throw.made[/url] me feel pretty good :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Last edited by a moderator:
I exaggerated a little. I figure I could tie a Texas rigged worm in a tornado at night. That knot, whatever it's called, is easy and strong, which is all I can ask of a knot.
Now, if I could just tie a bowline on the first try.
Jim

Back