• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

How long can you leave it loaded?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OLDBRO

32 Cal.
Reaction score
How long can you leave a percussion rifle loaded, ready for use? I get White tails showing up all the time in my back yard and would like to have my TC loaded,in a rack,in the kitchen if possible.May be a terrible idea but I wanted to ask.

Thanks all

If you loaded it right, was careful there was no oils or anything to contaminate the powder, it can remain loaded indefinitely. I'm talking black powder now, I have no idea about any of the substitute powders.

I'd recommend some type of safety devise. I've heard of a tube over the capped nipple that keeps the hammer off the cap but the hammer is lowered and cannot drop on a cap. Even in half cock- you probably don't want to permanently leave the gun that way. And if you have kids around- I wouldn't do it at all, no deer is worth the risk.

So true crocket ! I know of two people who have had unintended discharges in their homes. One was a close friend ( Whitetail )and the other was my brother-in-law (Choo-Choo Charely ). My sister was in her bed when my brother-in-law (bumbed) his gun getting it out of a closet and shot up through the cieling, the foot of the bed and out the roof !

If it has a patch box I would just put a couple caps in that. Charge the barrel and when your ready just take a cap out of the box and your ready to rock and role :stir:

One: Just because deer are in your yard does not mean you can legally shoot them with anything! You have to be licensed, and it has to be deer season!

Second: The Kitchen is about the worst place to store a BP anything- the worse being in your bathroom next to a shower. Too much humidity in the Kitchen from cooking and boiling water, etc.

If you have a Cool, DRY place next to the Kitchen, or near the back door, you can store a BP rifle fairly well. Don't put it up near the ceiling where heat rises and take household humidity up with it. You can tape the muzzle of the rifle to keep moisture out of the barrel. And you can grease the bore after seating the PRB to protect the barrel from rust during storage. At the other end, find a pistol casing that fits over the NIPPLE AND PERCUSSION CAP. Consider buying an O-ring at the hardware store that will fit over the nipple, but sit low enough that it won't interfere with seating the cap on the nipple. Then choose something line .380 or 9mm casing to place over the nipple and cap, that will have its mouth sealed by that O-ring. You may have to trim the casing to let your hammer come down far enough to rest on the top end of the casing, and hold it in place.

That casing will serve to seal moisture out of the nipple, and access the powder charge in the barrel. It also acts like a 'man-made' Safety, keeping the gun from firing if it gets "bumped", or knocked over. Tie the casing to the trigger guard with a small cord or leather strap.

To fire the gun, just cock the hammer, lift off the casing, aim, and fire. The tape on the muzzle will be blown off by the air in front of the PRB before the PRB reaches the muzzle. :thumbsup:

I understand Illinois hunting regs. We have taken 7 WT off my place this season.Was just wondering how a loaded gun would store over time. Thanks to all.

I would clean the barrel with alcohol, lighter fluid or brake clean, run a dry patch and snap a couple of caps before loading. Should be good for a few years.

What are the concerns with BP and moisture over time? Would a corrosion problem develop on the walls of the powder chamber on a long stored load?

Come on guys, the man asked a simple question which was easily answered. He didn't ask for a Hunter safety course nor should he have gotten one.

LilGuy said:
What are the concerns with BP and moisture over time? Would a corrosion problem develop on the walls of the powder chamber on a long stored load?

You should be fine unless you shoot the gun and then reload it without cleaning it. It's burnt powder that draws moisture. If the gun stays in the same place before using it, you should be fine.

Stored objects gather dust. Dust will also attract moisture. Moisture in a dry barrel- not oiled, will lead to some rusting, as the temperature and the humidity in the storage area changes. Even in a loaded gun barrel, with fresh powder, that chamber's steel sides are bare of any barrier to moisture. The BP itself won't absorb moisture, but if air can get into the powder, either down the muzzle or through the vent, or flash hole, it will infiltrate the powder granules, and attack the metal, given enough time. The amount of rusting there will be MUCH less, typically, than what will happen in a Bare Bore in front of the Projectile, however.

I have gone a year with a 80 grn charge of 777 in my Cimarron Hawken. Shot a nice doe with it and zip hesitation in the charge going off. I don't recommend it but I have not ever encountered a problem in doing this. Nice to be able to shoot them without leaving a hot cup of coffee!

I had said Cimarron Hawken in my previous post but more to the point it was a Santa Fe .53 Hawken

Back