• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

A Boer bullet poucn

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Here is my attempt at a "kooeletassie" or "kogeltassje" as worn on a belt by Boer hunters in southern Africa in the early 1800s. Balls go on one side, flints and patches on the other. I used 5-ounce oak-tanned cowhide, T.C. Albert's rust + vinegar harness stain and mink oil.

IMG_1431.jpg

IMG_1432.jpg

That's very nice work Sir. :thumbsup:

Any chance of you posting the pattern dimensions.
:hmm:

Makes me feel like making a good Potjie. Nice job there.

Out of curiosity, what arm would a Boer in that time period have carried?

Horner: Here you go. These were indeed worn on a belt, and the powder horn as well, suspended over the belt by a short plaited leather strap.

IMG_1433.jpg

Guns used in the 1830s were quite varied, as one might expect, with surplus British Besses in service along with older French and Dutch weapons, virtually all flintlocks. The classic is the long-barrelled flint smoothbore of 10-12 gauge with the characteristic "babboon's thigh" butt stock, very similar to our club-butt fowler.

Back