• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

How Far?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KHickam

50 Cal.
Reaction score
Well, I was back on the farm tonight and saw 3 deer including a nice buck. They were between 100-125 yds away and they didn't come any closer - I was very tempted to take the shot, but didn't.

I am shooting a 50 cal virginia rifle shooting 90 grs of FFg with a .480 RB with a .18 pillow tick patch. The gun shoots dead on at 75 yds and I can keep them in a 4" group.

The shot was slightly down angle and across a pond - I am second guessing it now - when I looked it over after the deer moved off - I was thinking I could have made that shot - but targets are different than animals.

Just wondering what you guys think? :idunno: :hmm:

KHickam said:
I was thinking I could have made that shot - but targets are different than animals.

Just wondering what you guys think? :idunno: :hmm:

I think you made the right choice. Your gut told you no. Maybe next time he will be closer. It is always better to wonder if you could have hit it than wonder where the wounded deer went. Ron

:v When in doubt, DON'T! You made the right choice, besides you still have to keep hunting. :v

With a .50 round ball and your 90 gr load the difference between 100 and 125 yards is about four inches of drop! Round balls fail fast after 90 or 100 yards.

If you haven't practiced at that range using the same rest or lack of one as you have while hunting don't take the shot on flesh and blood. Personally I consider my .50 to be 85 yards or less and my .54 to be 100 yards or less. And those long shots would have to be under absolutely ideal conditions with a very solid rest.

I think you made a good choice too. You didn't mention the wind, and that could have added many inches of drift depending on how strong it was. You did the right thing. I always go hunting with a max range in mind that I'll shoot. I thought that was 75 yards, but unless conditions are perfect, I think 50yds is more reasonable.

You weren't 100% comfortable taking the shot so you made the right decision. :thumbsup: :hatsoff:

What everyone else has said, plus this: That little bit of downhill boogers me.

My one "long range" attempt with a ML was lasered later at 97 yards. I mean, I really had that shot dialed in. 54 caliber RB and 90 grains of 3f for plenty of smack. Good solid rest, relaxed broadside deer, good light for the sights, no stress because it was a small fork that we'd been watching for awhile. I'd sighted in dead on at 75 yards and shot a fair bit at 100.

It was an absolute clean miss!

Turned out I didn't even think about the downhill angle of the shot, and I shot clean over its back. Doesn't take much with the comparatively arced trajectory of RBs, I guess.

If you'd been practicing that far, uphill and down as well as flat, maybe.

But you made the best call.

Keith you did what I do ...if it don't feel right I pass on it .....now how do we get in closer tommorow???what kind of cover does that pond have??which way did they come in and were did they go to???

I know you'll figure it right .... you only have to close the gap by 25-40 yards to get in your sweet spot.

I would not have taken the shot, this kind of shots has helped give the PRB bad press, you did right.Brownbear made a good point shooting up or down hill can be tricky the actual range of the animal is the hypotenuse of a traingle the base of the triangle is the distance that gravity will have to work on the ball and this is always less than the real distance up or down.

The load you are using would have got the job done, but it is no easy job for the shooter to do. I have taken 3 whitetials from 100 to 120 yards using a .495 ball and 80g of Pyrodex RS. Two of them where one shot kills, and the 120 yard shot got a second shot, although it was going no where. At the time I did a lot of target shooting at those ranges and felt confident with the shot. I used a rolled jacket and had lots of time to get set. Today I like you would pass on such a shot, as a matter of fact I passed on a nice buck this season at 110 yards, just at sundown. You did the right thing.

You made the right choice.

You need to practice shooting that far and get highly proficient before attempting long shots. Practice at 150 and it makes a 100 yard shot a chip shot.

Headhunter

One of these days I am going to make a partridge front sight that has 3 color inlays to allow precise barrel elevation for longer range open sight use. Don't really need it on a ball gun but for long conicals from fast twist it would be nice.

I think you should practice at that distance to see what you get. Prob good to have held off though.

I agree with everyone else here. You did the right thing. We're not really subsistence hunters (yet), so passing on a questionable shot is the right thing. I personally pass on more than I squeeze the trigger.

Cept I really kinda am a subsistance hunter - This time of year - I am eating soup (ramen) and beenie weenies - this economy and the fact that TX has really poor quail numbers - is hard to get through Jan.

Been out there several times this week - no deer. :idunno: :(

"Been out there several times this week - no deer."

If you believe..they will come.

You definitely made the right call if you're not comfortable with the shot.

However, a 50 cal should me more than capable of a shot at 100+ yards.

I wish I could remember where I read a story about frontiersmen picking off British officers at 400 yards with their Pennsylvania rifles.

Back