• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Brown Bess/tight rammer

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Darryl

36 Cal.
Reaction score
I just took delivery of a Pedersoli Brown Bess. A real task drawing the rammer. Finally got it out with no damage to anything. I lubed it up, but it's still very tight especially when returned all the way in. Is there a retaining spring for the rammer? I check the "parts exploded view", but no part looks like a spring. Any suggestions?

The musket was unfired, 99% and proofed in 1996 (code BH). Big lock fired everytime! Real nice.

Another Bess user...
grin.gif

I have one, had it for over 10 years and I love it...

Check the ram rod itself, is it gummy?
Maybe there is a build-up of machine oil on the end of the rod...

I suspect that there may be a few wood shavings in the ramrod channel, from where they drilled it...

I know that on the .69 caliber and the .58 caliber muskets I have, there is a ramrod retaining spring that looks like a bent spoon, in fact, it's called a ramrod spoon...

I gave my bess the once over and it is still a little tight, this is to keep the ramrod in place under recoil, I see no sign of a ramrod spoon being used, so I suspect it's a tappered hole...

You could try a little wax on the sticky section of the rod, this may help...

If you must remove the barrel, you will need to drift out the barrel retaining pins (tap them out towards the right side of the stock) as well as removing the bolt at the breech end of the barrel...

Keep the pins in order, so you can reinstall them correctly...

Take a section of fine emmery paper or steel wool and polish the ramrod down by the section that sticks, over time, the rod will loosen up...

What loads are you planning to use?
Lyman's Black Powder Handbook list the following loads for our besses...

.715 round ball (545 grains)...
smile.gif

.020 pillow ticking patch lubed with Crisco...
20 thru 150 grains of G-O FFg black powder...
G-O FFFFg priming powder

I use 90 grains of FFg GOEX powder, a .735 round ball with a .015 pillow tick patch coated in Wonderlube myself...

You might also check to see if the ramrod is straight. The slightest bend will make it tight.
Deadeye

pull out the front lock screw, the problem might be there. You can relive the screw a bit for clearence.

quote:Originally posted by the dread wechlo:
pull out the front lock screw, the problem might be there. You can relive the screw a bit for clearence. When I examined my bess last night as I posted the first reply, I pulled off my lock and the screw is about 3/4 inch above the ramrod channel, so there is plenty of clearence there...

DEADEYE may be on the right track, it could be bent, the ramrod thimbles may be out of alignment too...

I have a Pedersoli Tryon and it has the same problem with the ramrod. It seems to be the last inch or so. I would rather have it tight than loose and so I just use my range rod. I figure those ramrods are for looks or as a back up anyway.

I have a Pedersoli Tryon and it has the same problem with the ramrod. It seems to be the last inch or so.

When hunting, I would not want to carry an extra ramrod, so I would suggest pushing in the factory supplied rod just enough until it catches but can be drawn with easy...

Thanks for the tips! I polished the rammer and slicked it up and it got a bit better. Checked the lock screws and you're right there is a lot of clearance. I don't want to take the musket apart just yet, but the information on how to remove the pins was excellent. As suggested I check the pipes and they appear to be a little out of line. I may just as well live with it. At least the rammer won't drift out went I let a shot off. But I don't want to invite the flat side of a sword when I take my time at the "Draw Rammer!" command.
I am using a wimp 80 grains of 2F in a paper cartridge. Teeth torn, powder down the barrel and the paper and ball on top of it. It went bang everytime. Gotta post one day how flintlock muskets (mostly Brown Bess) have a big role in Hawaii's violent, 1770s to 1810, unification history.
Thanks again. This is a great forum.

Gotta post one day how flintlock muskets (mostly Brown Bess) have a big role in Hawaii's violent, 1770s to 1810, unification history.

I would like to read that post, sounds like a good idea...

Here are the parts that make up the brown bess, there is NO spoon or ramrod retaining spring shown...
BrownBess.JPG

Latest posts

Back