• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

GPR Kit tang fit

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Spot Shooter

40 Cal.
Reaction score
When I saw Kevin's post's I wonder'd if I'd see the same thang with my tang (sorry fer the bad poe-tree). Anywho, yep--- I've got the same tang fit problem thet Kevin had.

When I sinch her up on the front bolt on the tang the rear bolt's half out of line (about 1/8th to 1/16th an inch off). Look'n at the bolster, she's about pulled back too far the same distance, that is the bolsters about 1/18 to 1/16th an inch too far back to fit in the lock groove just right.

Dern it, well at least I didn't start doin' the rest of the stock work afer I figuired it out. Barrel's draw'd filed and polished with steel wool. I did finish the inlet on the lock (one tiny peice needed to be cut down was all).

Guess I'll be call'n Lyman back on Monday cause she's closed on the weekends.
:(
Spot

I am sorry to hear that. Lyman is very responsive, so take heart. Had I not sent mine around the holidays, I would have seen it back in under 2 weeks. Shipping time is the biggest delay.

They will just have you send the whole kit to them with a description of the problem. I was sent a whole new kit.

I guess I need to suggest to everyone that buys a kit to loosely assemble the whole kit with the tang and all to make sure it fits correctly before starting work.

I wonder what"s going on with Investarm"s quality control??

Enough complaints should result in proper "changes" being made by the company!! In fact "current changes" may have already been made and "kits" on the dealer"s shelves weren"t "recalled"!!

Lyman has an excellent reputation for "cutomer service" jest like TC!!

Spot

I"m almost tempted to order one"a them Lyman GPR "kits" myownself_ jest to see "whats goin on with"em"!!

I jest had a "BIG BOX" of venison "stix and sausage" come in the mail!!

THANK YOU!! very much!!
Yore a "fine feller" for sure!!

YMHS
rollingb

This all reminds of the recent thread about bending hammers. Folks with kits ought to look at that, because there definitely is an alignment problem between the action and barrel-including the tang- in recent production rifles. Looking at my own, it's almost as though the face of the stock that mates with the vertical surface of the breech is set too far forward. Corresponding with that, there's quite a gap behind the tang- a lot more space than would seem necessary to prevent splitting. It comes close to looking like hell, in terms of reasonable wood-to-metal fit.

I know the lady at Lyman was pretty interested in who was the QC checker at their place. I understand that they supposed to be checked by them after they get them from Investarm.

Spot, were I you, I would write up the letter describing the problem in detail, include it and a copy of your receipt in the box and get it ready to go. Lyman does not use RMA numbers, so waiting on your discussion with them to get it ready is not necessary. Their response was remarkably similar to TCs (who doesn't use RMAs either), "Send it on in and we'll take care of it".

I think this forum helps many by recognizing where there are problems that the general consumer may not notice.

All in all, for the price, I would not shy away from purchasing a kit since they are nice weapons and Lyman is very good about resolving any legitimate issues you may have.

Brown Bear

I would go along with thet "if" the bolster fit in the lock slot "too far forwards" (which doen"t seem to be the case)!!
In fact Kevin"s picture shows jest the opposite!!

I "think" the problem is in the "lock plate" with the bolster "cut out" be"n too far forwards!!

An "unsightly fix" would be to file the "cut out" on it"s rear face_ to allow the barrel to be moved rearward_ which would let everthin "line up" proper and even close the tang "gap"!!

Course as I mentioned_ this would result in an "unsightly fix" cause THEN ther would be a "gap" in the lock plate tween the bolster and forward edge of the "cut out"!!

I sure wish I had one"a them rifle kits to look at_ but I"m probly gonna have to buy a new computer this week!! (so ther goes my "toy" money for awhile!)

FIXED!

Well, we no longer have a problem witd' thet tang'

I were a farmer grow'n up, so's I took out a torch n' hammer. (Acting on what Zonie said in Kevin's thread)

Now I ain't no dumb farmer neither so I outlined the shape of that there tang afer I started pound'n on 'er.

Anyhow, Further inspection show'd that the tang was short from the main bolt hole going to the front, and going back to the rear hole.

I got her cherry hot betwen the front bolt hole and the peice part thet holts the barrel. Then let her have it, not too much mind ya, just enough wheres I could see the steel widen' a bit. Used my old cantee cup filled with water to cool her off. I used a piece of leather to keep from mark'n her up too bad. Anywho, I got just the right length on the first try - dumb luck. I had to file out the hammer marks, and rebend the angle thet the tang left the brace from but she's good to go (bolster might even sit a hair forward but it's real close).

Next I looked at that peice thet were too short to reach the back hole. Cheery'd up the tang 'tweenist the two holes and gave what fer. Same thing, just about a 16th off so colt her off again, and filed down the sides so she'd gointa' the inlet.

When I cool'd it and set her in the inlet look - HEY, the damn thing is lined right up (the two holes), just need's some curvin on the tang now. heated her up oncest more, using the wet leather an flex'd her where she needed it. All's good - Then I filed out all the marks I left and started inlett'n to get the barrel bolster flat on the lock plate groove. And I din't burn down the house 'er nothin'

RB, tweenist you and Zonie who gave me the blacksmith work Idear I'm home free! I took a break as to not dare fate. I need to inlet just a bit more to get that bolster on the plate, but not much. I'll be sand'n wood by Sunday!

Thank you so much Sir's fer yer help. I'm outta the woods now, just need to take my time and be patient now, and bring her home.

Spot

RollingB,

On the lighter side of all this, Immediately after getting that Tang fixed I got so excited I wanted to come up and post this.

I started a' typin' away, and the keys were goin' nuts.
Heck I thought my computer saw goin' crazy - 'bout then I realized the keyboard were moving on me. I lifted her up and found two roundball's had been shift'n the keyboard around while I typed. - might want ta see if thet were yer problem last week!!!

LOL!!!!

Spot

There seems to be a few cases where the Lyman kits needed extra-work...

Do you suppose they (Lyman) are putting factory seconds in their kits, saving all of the better metal parts for their production guns?

I would hope the metal of the kits are of the same standard as the finished guns, just lacking polishing and blueing/browning...

I"ve never had reason to question the "quality" of the metal parts in the Lyman "kits"! (and I"ve put together more"n twenty of"em over the years!!)

That's good to know, I've been thinking about building something...

Will duct tape work as a replacement for barrel wedges? ::

I always reccomend "rawhide" stead of duct tape Musketman!!

It "looks" much nicer and "lasts" much longer!! ::

Back