• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Buffalo hunt caliber questions

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gmww

70 Cal.
Reaction score
Well I killed one several years ago with a .54 and 80 grns of 2f powder. It took two Great plains conicals through the lung and liver to kill it.

I'm thinking of another hunt to resupply my Buffalo meat. I'm trying to choose my next gun. I have been toying with using my .45 fast twist using a 500 grn hard cast bullet normally used for the 45/70. I've been successful using it in my ML Underhammer. Or my .62 RB hard cast. I'm feeling a need for hard cast as the hide on these things are thick and I want a deep penetrating, and a possibly pass through shot.

Is .62 RB, with 80 grns 2f too weak? How about the .45 with 80 grns 2f being too weak. (My Underhammers are currently tuned at this powder charge. I will only take shots under 100 yards.

Thanks

Gmww

I don't think you have anything to worry about considering what was used to kill off most of the Buffalo back in the 1800's. Only thing I would do if using a heavy conical, would be to go with a wide as possible meplat. :thumbsup:

A few years ago, I traveled to Kansas for a guided hunt. The outfitter prefers a 500+ grain flatpoint with pure lead in the 45-70. His reasoning is: heavy bullets penetrate better and the bullet configuration will create more damage going through.

On day one, I took my buff, two shots with a .72 round ball. On day two, another hunter took his buff with a .54 round ball (one shot kill). Both buffs were shot at about 100 yards, and all bullets passed through.

Whatever works.

gmww said:
Well I killed one several years ago with a .54 and 80 grns of 2f powder. It took two Great plains conicals through the lung and liver to kill it.

I'm thinking of another hunt to resupply my Buffalo meat. I'm trying to choose my next gun. I have been toying with using my .45 fast twist using a 500 grn hard cast bullet normally used for the 45/70. I've been successful using it in my ML Underhammer. Or my .62 RB hard cast. I'm feeling a need for hard cast as the hide on these things are thick and I want a deep penetrating, and a possibly pass through shot.

Is .62 RB, with 80 grns 2f too weak? How about the .45 with 80 grns 2f being too weak. (My Underhammers are currently tuned at this powder charge. I will only take shots under 100 yards.

Thanks

Gmww

I took this one ( http://www.muzzleloadingforum.com/fusionbb/showtopic.php?tid/232538/post/700405/hl//fromsearch/1/ ) Last march with my .54 Laymen great Plains Rifle; A .530 ball, with a .015 perlubed patch, over 90 grains of Pyrodex RS....3" down and 6" back from the ear and BANG. Droped him like a sack of poo. (This at 40 to 50 yards) In trying to recover the ball discovered that it went through the spine (which was the intent) and out the other side.
My point is that I think you got a good load in what you started with ".54 and 80 grns of 2f powder and a Great plains conical." They are BIG, Tough critters so if you want em DOWN break that nervous system up (from the ear...3" down and 6" back!)Otherwise a 4 bore hole through the "middle of the big part" is going to take a second or two to get em dead.
On the OTHER hand...ANY reason to get a new gun is a GOOD one! :hatsoff:

Last edited by a moderator:
I think that is a pretty light load for a .62 and ball, I use 90gr 3f. as for the comicals I don't use them so i can't say about the charge there.

Very Nice Buffalo! I've got a couple of barrels that have yet to be baptized by game. The fast twist .45 has yet to be fired for game. I've often wondered about the killing power of the .45 ML on something the size of a buffalo. Considering I would be replicating a 45/70 I thought it should (theoretically) do the job.

P6170020.jpg

I think I can squeeze out a little more accuracy with some range time. It's a hard cast and is supposed to be 405 grns with pure lead.

Back