• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Keeping the cap on the nipple ?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Anonym

36 Cal.
Reaction score
I've always been paranoid about loosing a cap when at half or full cock, waiting for a shot. I was curious if anyone has used something like bore butter or something the consistency of vaseline on the outside of the nipple to help hold the cap in place? Seems this would also help keep moisture out of that area.

What do you guys do, or do you just not worry about it?

I would suggest getting a new nipple; i.e., one that the caps firmly seat on.

They sell this muzzle cover that looks like a very small rubber condom. (really!) It's to keep the water out of the muzzle. If you have a flash cup around your nipple, you can use this condom to cover the nipple and flash cup. The rubber hold the cap in place and you can drop the hammer and fire without taking off the condom.

With that said, check your state regulations. In Wa. I would not be able to use this. Wa. requires that the ignition system be exposed to the elements and this would seal it from the weather.

I've also filed the top of the tapered nipple until the cap fits on snugly without slipping off easily.

give your cap a little pinch to make it not so round and it should stay on the nipple!

Ok. Thanks for the advise. The cap stays on well and fits firmly, it's just always been a worry if I'm doing a spot-n-stalk or something that has the gun cocked for any length of time. Most of the time I put my thumb over it just in case, but I may be overly paranoid!

This is a QUESTION as well....I was wondering about dripping candle wax on and around the cap to make a seal. Dangerous? Usefull? Thoughts??

For hunting after placing the nipple firmly on the niple I take a fine leather lace and "rub" my patch lube ( A mixture of 80% lard and 20 % beeswax) around the edge of the cap on the nipple. This not only helps keep the cap on the nipple it gives a water proof seal as well. Which is a good thing since deer season in Ohio is often rainy.

Back