• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Gun Back From Gunsmith

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

luieb45

54 Cal.
Reaction score
My gun has been at the gunsmith since the incident I had the second weekend of october during youth season. The ball was stuck and I had tried shooting it out with pyrodex and pulling it. However he tried pulling it with his ball puller and it broke off inside the barrel attached to the ball. Then he said he put some 3f black under the nipple and shot out with the ball puller still attached. I am just glad to have it fixed finally. He said it came out easy since he greased it before he did that. He thinks I should use more bore butter on the barrel. I doubt he knew that I had shot it once a month ago and couldn't clean it because of the ball. Would not cleaning it do permanent damage to the barrel? Oh and I was using pyrodex.

pyrodex is still corrosive, some say more than black powder. I had a heck of time with the stuff when I started out with a traditions rifle and then my renegade. I will say I managed to put some pitts in my barrel out of improper cleaning with using pyrodex just plain ignorance pre internet days. My renegade still shoots great but there is pitting. I found that Pyrodex does not shoot as reliably as plain black powder I use goex I have tried graff but need to work with it a little more to figure it out. Keep at it the best thing about muzzleloading is that it allows you to do a ton of things on your own. You can get a bore light and see if your barrel is pitted but if it shoots good well then it shoots good go with that. next time try your gunsmiths trick. I always when I shoot clean the barrel with 91% isopropol alcohol until the patches are clean of oil then snap a few caps wipe again until totally clean and dry then load I suspect you had some oil in the bore and you saturated the pyrodex with oil or some other moisture.

luie b said:
However he tried pulling it with his ball puller and it broke off inside the barrel attached to the ball. Then he said he put some 3f black under the nipple and shot out with the ball puller still attached.

I hope he seated the stuck ball back down the barrel, after he tried to pull it out and broke his ball puller. It could have bulged the barrel if he didn't! Even with a light charge of 10 volume 3F, you'd be suprised. I would check it with a light just to make sure.

Back