• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Turkey Shoot Winner Puts Bird In The Freezer!

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dave Rosenthal

70 Cal.
Reaction score
Greetings to All!

At yesterday's Annual Turkey Shoot at a local club's Black Powder League that my son and I belong to, I won the Turkey for the pistol portion of the Shoot :) . From 25 yards distance I put a ball through the X-ring of a 25 yard NRA slow-fire pistol target THAT WAS TURNED BACKWARDS so that you couldn't see the scoring rings--you had to guess where the bull was! The winner was decided by the second ball on the same target: I scored a 7 and the next closest competitor scored a 6, so it was REAL CLOSE!! The Butterball is in the freezer, and now I don't have to buy a bird for Thanksgiving :haha:

Used my Uberti Walker, 50 grains of 3Fg Goex, a pre-lubed wonder-wad and a .454 Hornady ball. My son got to participate as well and he came in about the middle of the pack :) so Proud Papa got to "bring home the dinner"!

May all of my friends here on this wonderful forum get the chance to be a part of such a great shooting experience...Turkey Shoots are FUN!

Dave

Yup, they are fun.

Our club had it's annual turkey shoot on Sunday. I managed to pick up a turkey but broke even on the quarter side bets.

We have one sadistic member that had a large bull folded into a triangle and you shoot the plain triangle and hope you get into the scoring rings - 5 shots for a total of 100 points. He did the same thing with a six bull folded lengthways - six shots for a total of 120 points. Had to guess where each of bulls were.

Got me a turkey and a trophy Saturday at a shoot an old friend puts on every year. He also shot off another turkey and a beef roast. He was going to shoot off a ham, but we ended up eating it for lunch. He is an honest to shucks old time mountaineer. He lost a leg in the mines and was a glider infantryman in the 82nd Airborne in WW II. He's been building guns, rifling barrels and everything for 70 years, though he's not as active as he used to be. Don't see very many like him anymore.

Our club has its annual turkey shoot on the 2nd Saturday this month. Gonna try to git another 'un.

Mike,

Now that IS sadistic! Does make you think about shot placement though! I guess it's a case of aim small, miss small :haha: .

Nothing tastes better than a bird that you've either won or harvested :thumbsup: . Congrats to ya!

Dave

Your friend sounds like someone I'd like to meet and share a meal with!

Good luck at the club's Turkey Shoot too!

Dave

Atta boy smokin, They always taste better,,

Mike2005 said:
We have one sadistic member that had a large bull folded into a triangle,,,

Ooohhh! That's a good one, I'm gonna fold a target now so I remember that one!

We are all going to NJ for turkey turkey dinner at Smokin! :grin: :rotf:

When the boy and I left for the range on Sunday last, the wife says, "One of you better come back with a turkey!" And then she says, "NO PRESSURE" :rotf: :haha: .

My Eagle Scout son won the turkey last year :thumbsup: . At an over-the-log Meat Shoot held by another club that we both belong to, Andy won fillet-mignon in the summer. So the running joke is when there's food involved, one of us is bound to win!

Weather this weekend looks good in my locale. May we all score some good hits :)

Dave

smokin .50 said:

Dave

He's one in a million! You'd like him. And thanks! We are shooting off 11 turkeys. One for the flint aggregate, one for the percussion agg., one for the mystery match and the other 8 for the best score in each match in flint and perc.; 25 yd. offhand, 50 yd. offhand, 50 yd. bench and 100 yd. bench. Plus we'll be eating beans and cornbread, chili or jambalaya, depends on who's cookin'. You need to move down this way!

And congrats on your win as well!
:hatsoff:

KanawhaRanger said:
smokin .50 said:

Dave

He's one in a million! You'd like him. And thanks! We are shooting off 11 turkeys. One for the flint aggregate, one for the percussion agg., one for the mystery match and the other 8 for the best score in each match in flint and perc.; 25 yd. offhand, 50 yd. offhand, 50 yd. bench and 100 yd. bench. Plus we'll be eating beans and cornbread, chili or jambalaya, depends on who's cookin'. You need to move down this way!

And congrats on your win as well!
:hatsoff:

Sounds like I should show-up just for the food :haha: :rotf: cause I'm a real "foodie"! I LOVE all of the stuff that you just mentioned! Now as for that diet I started a month ago...

Good luck and remember, NO PRESSURE :rotf: :rotf: :haha: :haha: :grin:

Dave

Back