• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Anybody try & give up on flinters???

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Lets not turn this into a "fix my flintlock" post please.

Those questions can be asked in the Flintlock Forum area.

As for trying a flintlock and then changing back to percussion, no, I haven't done that.

I enjoy shooting both styles of locks but truth be told, if I really want the smallest groups I choose the percussion guns.

Am I saying the percussion is more accurate? No.
I'm saying I shoot more accurately with them. That's all.

It's just like UPS. Point, click and ship. But seriously; just keep shooting it until it isn't noticable. I don't know how long it will take but I don't shoot that much and I don't even know it happens. I think a good trigger makes a difference though.

If you're already proficient with caplocks the only difference is the lock mechanism of course...BUT...that's the whole point of the challenge...flint ignition speed & 100% reliability is EVERYTHING in a Flintlock. If you have fast, 100% reliable every time you'll love Flintlocks, and hunt them under any conditions...but if they're slow and unreliable, you'll start threads like this one :wink: .

So...maybe its time to consider a slightly different approach...find an experienced Flintlock shooter close enough to your area to drive to for an hour's show & tell with him(her)...look over your lock, your flint set-up, your knapping technique, your vent, your cleaning/drying/lubing/loading techniquest, etc.

BECAUSE...remembering to think outside the box occasionally...it may not be a 'Flintlock Assembly' problem at all and you could continue to fiddle with it for months and never improve the overall situation...gotta get to the root cause...because they truly can be 100% reliable...and I say that using $500 mass produced Flintlocks for the past 10 years...not even high dollar custom Flintlocks

I tried and gave up on flintlocks several times before I got a good one, that makes all the difference. However, I think I may be about to give up on them again. I'm just getting too shaky to hang on target either before nor after I touch the trigger so I know I can shoot a bit better with faster ignition. Thus thinking, I just ordered a percussion lock and nipple drum for my Bucks County .50 flint.

Truth, since getting into flinters in 2003, I sold off My only two cap locks. A sin-line sits in the safe that is used every year by my father or Uncle every year in N.Y but other than that I have no desire to go back to cap locks.

I started with a flintlock about 1968. I already had a capgun and liked both. I have accumulated several more flintlocks over the years but also percussion. I shoot flintlocks almost exclusively but have a couple of percussions that I shoot once in a while. I only hunt with flint guns, now. I have one percussion, for instance, that I would not let go for love nor money. Nothing wrong with either. But if you get a flintlock don't pinch pennies.

Nothing wrong with either. But if you get a flintlock don't pinch pennies.

If that reply was to me, no worrrys, I have very nice flinters. :thumbsup:

That's first rate advice. The better the flintlock, the nicer it is to shoot, and the less likely a person is to get frustrated and go back to percussion guns.

"Oh, what tangled webs we weave",... when wordsmiths begin to play....... :grin: :rotf:

Good to hear from you, Kam. Paul

MSW said:
don't feel compelled to shoot one or the other (especially to the exclusion of something else, and especially as a result of some sort of peer pressure thing).

yes, it's true that some of are flintsnobs (i'm probably guilty to some degree) but that doesn't mean that flint is the be- all- and- end- all, and that if rockbanging doesn't flat your boat you're somehow morally bankrupt of somesuch.

try flint, and if they don't hold the same allure for you that they do for me, then go with whatever does make you happy.

:thumbsup: This pretty much sums it up. Some people try a flintlock and they love it from the start. If you try a flintlock and you don't like it, it's not for you. Why force yourself to become "comfortable" with it. If you have to do that, it's probably not for you.

This can apply to anything. Would you force yourself to play golf, go skiing, or play tennis just because your friends said it was enjoyable? Of course not. Do your own thing.

Sorry, Swampy, but it wasn't aimed at you. I keep forgetting you just can't click on reply without tagging the post above. I also post on a couple other forums where doesn't do this and just forget.

hanshi said:
Sorry, Swampy, but it wasn't aimed at you. I keep forgetting you just can't click on reply without tagging the post above. I also post on a couple other forums where doesn't do this and just forget.

If you want to reply to a specific person or post, just click on their post and quote them. That way there is no confusion as to who and what you are replying to.

I have both flinters and caplocks. I usually shoot the cap guns, but I do enjoy the flintlocks, too. I just have to be in "the right mood" to use the flinters exclusively at the range or at a shoot. So, nope, I haven't abandoned flints, nor have I abandoned the capguns . . . I shoot, and like, them both.

If you want to reply to a specific person or post, just click on their post and quote them. That way there is no confusion as to who and what you are replying to.[/quote]

I have to say, though, that I'm the kind of guy that finds the book "Idiot's Guide to Forum Posting", way to complicated. :redface:

Skychief said:
Have any of you shot flintlocks and "reverted" back to caplocks for any reason? I ask out of curiosity mainly. Also, I ask here instead of the flintlock section (I imagine I would be tarred and feathered if asking this question there :haha: ). It seems that I read and read that once a flintlock is tried, it is an earth-shattering event and all who try them will NEVER revert back to using the "lowly" percussion ignition system! I have a flintlock now, and while I like it, I still like my caplocks as much or more.

Have any of you laid down your rocklocks in favor of your percussions?

Thanks for thoughts, responses, musings, etc, etc....... :bow:
To me rocklocks are sort of like sex. Tried it, liked it, sticking with it.

Skychief said:
Have any of you laid down your rocklocks in favor of your percussions?

Thanks for thoughts, responses, musings, etc, etc....... :bow:

Some people just cannot shoot a flint gun I have a friend who can shoot perc or cartridge with his very consistent flinch. But the flintlock will not tolerate such things.
You MUST be consistent and you must do proper trigger control follow through etc. A small flint pistol will show a previously unrealized errors. BTDT.

But I just don't care for percussion guns other than a good colt c&b revolver.
For hunting the percussions have one massive disadvantage from my perspective. You cannot make it safe simply by removing the cap. If the cap, for what ever reason leaks any compound on to the nipple the gun is "hot" and may fire with the hammer down if the hammer moves in any way after the cap is removed. It can also fire as the cap is removed. Its a remote chance but a friend was injured by a malfunctioning perc cap and I have heard of people actually being shot by percussion guns with the cap removed.
Flints can be made safe by opening the frizzen.

And the flintlock is just more interesting.

Dan

Back