• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Wild berry ID help

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CWC

40 Cal.
Reaction score
I was collecting some choke cherries and currants yesterday in northern Colorado, near Estes Park. I came across this small plant with blue berries on it. I couldn't find it in either of my plant guides. Can anyone here ID it?

Clifton_Clary
[/URL][/img]

Clifton_Clary

P1000055.jpg
[/URL][/img]

Clifton_Clary
[/URL][/img]

I fixed the links. Can you tell what type of holly from the pics?

P1000055.jpg

P1000054.jpg

P1000053.jpg

Offhand I woukld agree, it could be in the Oregon grape family as well, most often plants with pokey leaves like that do not have edible berries, I have not been into local flora ID study for a long time but I would not nibble on those berries.

What you have a photo of, is Oregon Grape.

Oregon-grape grows to 1-5 m tall. Its leathery leaves resemble holly and the stems and twigs have a thickened, corky appearance. The flowers, borne in late spring, are an attractive yellow.

The small purplish-black fruits, which are quite tart and contain large seeds, are sometimes used locally mixed with Salal to make jelly. The fruit is bitter, and generally not eaten without being sweetened first. As the leaves of Oregon-grape are holly-like and resist wilting, the foliage is sometimes used by florists for greenery and a small gathering industry has been established in the Pacific Northwest. The inner bark of the larger stems and roots of Oregon-grape yield a yellow dye.

Oregon-grape is a native plant on the North American west coast from British Columbia to northern California, occurring in the understory of Douglas-fir forests and in brushlands. It is the state flower of Oregon.

In some areas outside its native range, Oregon-grape has been classified as an invasive exotic species that may displace native vegetation.

Oregon Grape. Our state flower.
Have not seen much jelly for sale made from it here local.
Pretty. Abundant.Tart.!

I thought it looked pretty Oregon Grapey, really shows with the bigger pics.I have never eaten it I thought the bit I tasted as a kid was gawd awfull and never tried it again, I prefer thimble berries and Salmon berries along the creeks and the Huckleberries that grow in the big oldgrowth stumps, Dad used to make wine with those and the Eldeberries when I was in school, it packed a punch. He called it jungle juice.Any thick concentrations of the above berries is a good place to look for Grouse or bear.

Now you've got me lookin' stuff up! According to the experts what we have here is a plant scientifically named Mahonia Aquifolium also known as Grape Holly, Oregon Holly, or Blue Barberry. I wouldn't eat it.

My wife makes jelly from Oregon Grape, and it's gooood! Just have to add sugar, because it's very tart.Same with Elder berry.

When I head into the Cascades next month to deer & Elk hunt, I always look for different berries to bring home to the wife.
When looking for elder berries, I keep my eyes pealed for bears. They love them also. :grin:

It's hard to tell from the picture, but it looks like to me that there might be some poison ivy in the background of the picture of the Oregon grape. It has three leaflets and is about the right size.

I would have thought the real question is, can you make wine with those Oregon grapes?

The Doc is out now, and just curious since I am a tad far away from Oregon and the west coast. :v

Back