• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Cap sticking in hammer?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

newkid

36 Cal.
Reaction score
On my TC Rengade after the shot I have to dig the cap out of the hammer with a knife. I'm using CCI #11 caps. Any thoughts on how to prevent this?

Thanks

I'm not sure whether it's the opening that is required, or simply the smoothing that results from opening. On the last one I did, I just polished the inside of the cup with little change in size and it helped.

Open it to the side facing away from you.( Front towards the muzzle) Many percusion guns come with a notch cut into the front of the hammer for this very reason.

This is very common for both of my TC's.

After a day at the range it isn't unusual for me to have to pick out 3 or 4 caps that have pasted themselves to the inside of the hammer nose.

Even with those spent caps in the hammer I haven't noticed any failures to fire the caps when I reload and shoot another shot.

BrownBear said:
I'm not sure whether it's the opening that is required, or simply the smoothing that results from opening. On the last one I did, I just polished the inside of the cup with little change in size and it helped.

Yup,that's what worked for me

Incidentally, it's the stock TC hammer so it has a notched opening in the front of the hammer. Also, I'm using a TC Hot Shot nipple.

what is the load that you are using. Generally there is to much back pressure and it adheres to the hammer do to heat . if you are using a hot shot maybe the nipple hole is to large

Loco Mato said:
what is the load that you are using. Generally there is to much back pressure and it adheres to the hammer do to heat . if you are using a hot shot maybe the nipple hole is to large

At 4-H Shooting Sports camp we shot ~300 rounds thru 3 TC New Englanders, and the caps stuck when the hammer cup got fouled. Cleaning it GOOD helped most, then add a dab of Rem Oil on the inside with a Q-tip. One tool I want to try though is a cartridge reloaders primer pocket brush, meant for this kind of thing. RCBS and the other guys sell them. I'm hesitant to open up the hole. I'd rather wear a flash hole pick around my neck.

Gus said:
One tool I want to try though is a cartridge reloaders primer pocket brush, meant for this kind of thing.

Works great. In the field you can also whittle a tool, the equivalent of a fouling scraper intended for barrels. Just takes a few stroke of the knife to square a small stick end, then flatten.

Mine does the same thing on a Treso nipple. I just pop 'em out as I shoot with my Gerber if they're really stuck, but usually I can grab an edge with the 'ole fingernail. Watch out, though... they're sharp as a razor blade!

I wonder if the Hot-Shot nipple is blowing the skirt out tight to the sides of the recess in the hammer. If you have a normal nipple handy, maybe give it a try just for the hay of it.

If you grind a slight "cone-shaped" taper to the inside of the skirt, they should not stick, no matter how "blown out" a nipple makes the cap. There is a long, thin, tapered grinding bit made for Dremel Tools that works quite well for this kind of thing.

I don't understand why people want to put up with a problem like this when it can be fixed so quickly, with no change in the outward appearance of the hammer.

Every caps sticks, Every time on mine. It is a shape issue with the stock hammer and not a cap, nipple, or load issue. The hammers shape just grabs the cap well. I think it is a little bit deep or as others have suggested it may be a little bit too square.
On the other hand, my friends Cabelas hawken is built similarly but the recess in the hammer is very shallow and the caps blow right off that thing. Most times I don't even find any fragments left after a shot. I make sure no one is next to me when I shoot too.

It happens with all loads although I can't remember if it happens when I just snap a cap or two prior to shooting, I'll have to check that. It even happens after the hammer cup has just been cleaned. I may try just polishing the inside of the hammer a little. I know that most caps that get stuck are stubborn to get out, even with a knife blade.

Latest posts

Back