• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

My two cents on ignition speed

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jtmattison

70 Cal.
Reaction score
Ignition speed doesn't matter.

If you don't have proper shooting technique nothing else matters.

Your flintlock can fire as fast as a centerfire (yeah right!) but if you don't have follow-through you won't have good groups or dead deer.

All the talk about ignition speed is pure poo in my opinion.

Now let's hear it.

:v

HD

"pure poo"

POO!....and absoluetly correct, but why take away one of the best things to argue about? I just love those page long posts that go nowhere.

Huntin Dawg said:
Your flintlock can fire as fast as a centerfire (yeah right!) but if you don't have follow-through you won't have good groups or dead deer.
All the talk about ignition speed is pure poo in my opinion.
Now let's hear it.

I can't believe the timing of this post...just yesterday I had begun searching for match cord and components so I could convert my Flintlocks backwards...they're just too darn fast and who needs all that!!

I agree! Follow-through seems to be number one over lock speed with me.

I betcha some matchlock shooter somewhere is looking at detonation cord with a 35,000 Ft/sec burn rate just to speed up his ignition. :rotf:

All the talk about ignition speed is pure poo in my opinion
There goes all my excuses! Thanks! :rotf: :rotf:
I do think you're correct, though.

Cow poo or horse poo? And which is the most pure?

FPDoc said:
So.. Cow PooPooPoo g for .50 and under and Cow PooPoo g for over .50cal? What about Prime? :rotf:

Mouse, of course. Smaller grains translates to faster burn rate.

Zonie said:
I betcha some matchlock shooter somewhere is looking at detonation cord with a 35,000 Ft/sec burn rate just to speed up his ignition. :rotf:

Well I'll bet he won't light it off but once.

"OK" I'll be the first to sort of disagree. When you get my age, I need all the help I can get and the faster the ignition the better.I sort of time my shakes and try to pull the trigger between shakes.If I don't have fast ignition, I could shoot the cow standing about twenty yards away from the deer :surrender:

My wife thinks I should only be allowed to shoot the "BULL" and leave the smoke stick at home!

What does she know? She would prob. agree with you :grin:

FPDoc said:
What about Prime?

Poo from a newborn mouse should be roughly equivalent to null B, however, the PC shooter will prime with whatever goes down the barrel. :blah: :rotf:

For pure speed of ignition cat poo is best. Only use Cheetah poo ,no subsitutes. :thumbsup:
Goose poo is what I use on my patches. :bull:
:shake:

Amazing! 15 replies and only about 3 of them are remotely serious. The rest are rambling about poo.

HD

Huntin Dawg said:
Amazing! 15 replies and only about 3 of them are remotely serious. The rest are rambling about poo.

HD

Kind of makes your moderator's work seem worthwhile, doesn't it. Imagine what beginners think when they read this stuff? :shake:

I guess ignition speed is alot like life and golf, it is about the follow thru. I just hang on my stance and position and don't break until after I see the cloud out the front.

Follow through is critical--regardless of how fast the lock is. With today's higher quality locks, the difference between a fast lock and a slow one is so small that even an experienced shooter isn't going to notice the difference. I'd certainly rather have a fast lock than a slow one like anyone else, but it is keeping a steady hold on the target that is going to put the ball into the black or into the deer's vitals. :v

Huntin Dawg said:

HD

I agree that follow through is a key element in shooting techniques, shot placement ranks high up there too, what good is a fast lock time if you hit the animal in the wrong spot?

In my opinion. I think people should learn to master their shooting skills before trying any short-cuts to enhance their weapon's performance. (but that's just me)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back