• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

TC Patriot back from repair

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

El Lobo

40 Cal.
Reaction score
I received my Patriot pistol back from repair at the Thompson Center factory today. Not only did they fix the rear sight (more on that below), but they cleaned and polished the whole gun. It is beautiful. The brass looks like new. They also adjusted the wedge key/wedge slot fit and replaced a couple of damaged screws.

I sent it in for repair because the rear sight had come loose and I couldn't tighten it. Well, come to find out it was operator error. Seems there is a little allen head set screw on the sight that had worked loose over the years and that I didn't see when I was trying to tighten up the sight. Anyway, not only did the folks at T/C fix the problem for me, but they also sent a spare allen wrench for the set screw AND a new owner's manual with the appropriate section highlighted. And a hand-written note from Jack in the repair shop explaining all this. Thanks, Jack. And thanks to all the folks at Thompson Center. I could not be happier.

I am going to the range tomorrow morning and put some rounds through my fine little pistol.

I sent a Patriot pistol in to Thompson a few years ago. The rear sight was loose. The windage adjustment drifted freely. The lock and triggers needed some attention. I wrote a note expressing my concerns and offered to pay for anything that might not be covered by the warranty.
When I got the pistol back I was amazed. They had gone through the pistol and completely reconditioned it. It looked brand new. I wasn't charged a cent for all the work. They paid complete attention to my pistol, more than what I had asked for. They were quick, courteous and efficient. :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

DoubleDeuce 1 said:
When I got the pistol back I was amazed. They had gone through the pistol and completely reconditioned it. It looked brand new. I

It's a good thing you guys didn't spend a lot of time trying to make your pistols look well used, only to have TC undo all your work. :wink:

I was thinking the same thing. If I ever need to send in my hawken, I'll have to be sure to include a note asking them to leave the brass dull!

I purchased a "used" patriot that had the wood all nicked up but no rust and had a good price tag. I would get fliers in my group at 25 yards. It turned out one of the lands at the muzzle was flattened, how I don't know. Contacted Thompson Center expecting to pay for the repair. They fixed just the muzzle area, no charge! Great company. Great service. :thumbsup:

I got back from the range a little while ago. I am more than impressed with this little pistol. I worked up a load with a .490 Hornady ball on a .015 patch over a scant 20 grains of Fffg. After working up the load I sighted in the Patriot on the center circle. Here is my final full 5 shot group of the afternoon.

041309Targetsmall.jpg

This is from a rest at 25 yards. The target sheet is a copy of the 8 1/2 x 11 I got from Dutch Schultz. I started to shoot one more group but by then I was losing concentration so they began opening up quite a bit on me.

Now that I have this load dialed in, I am going to try weighing my balls and cutting my patches at the muzzle to see if I can tighten things up a little bit more.

I just picked up one and have not had time to get to the range. I picked up 440 rbs and 15th patch to use. This gun is 99% like new, not a mark on it. :grin:

Sorry, I meant .440 Hornady balls, not .490's. That would be quite a trick ramming .490's down the barrel of my little pistol.

I hope you are as pleased with yours as I am with mine. Let us know how it shoots.

My Patriot shoots about 10 inches high at 25 yds, no matter what I do to the sights. I have always been a little disasatisfied with it because of the sight problem. To hit center I have to aim even below the paper most of the time.

I have another 45 cal pistol made up from TC patriot parts triggers, trigger guard and lock. and a home made stock and a different barrel. That will shoot a 2 inch group at 25 yds.

My Patriot shoots about 10 inches high at 25 yds, no matter what I do to the sights. I have always been a little disasatisfied with it because of the sight problem.

Send it to me. I'll take care of the problem for you! :grin: :grin:

Hello all, I am about to start shooting my 45 patriot after substantal stock repair,long story, screwed by seller on another site. My question is, tc recomends round ball only, patriot has a very fast twist for round ball, that is not the round ball standard how does that work for good groups?

The Patriot will do just fine with a patched round ball. Use a .440 cal, and 20-25 gr of 3Fg. Mine will shoot a ragged hole about the size of a quarter at 25 yards, I put about 38 shots into the hole before it became tiresome. I was having a very good day. :thumbsup:

What kind of load are you using? I am only shooting 20 grains of Fffg and it seems to do the job pretty well.

If you are dissatisfied with that Patriot, I am sure there are those who would be willing to take it off your hands... :wink:

Yes, pistol barrels normally have a faster twist than rifle barrels. The Patriot will shoot just fine with 20 gr. of fffg and a patched .440 ball. Very accurate pistol. Not sure what the problem is with the post earlier about 10" high shots. Something is definatly wrong with that one. Never saw a Patriot do that.

Hope this helps, Jim/OH :hatsoff:

Im no expert.
All I can say is the gun I own shoots as good as I do on any given day.
I need to come up with new excuses when the boys see me shooting A patriot.

Back