• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Small Game Rifle!!

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It may have something to do with when the rifle was made. Mine is from the first year of production. Maybe later guns had shorter pulls?

short_start said:
TC made some short pull 'youth' versions of the Seneca. I think they appeared as "custom shop" versions. ...

That explains a lot. I may have ordered one of those when I got my wife's. She's only 5'1" and if it was available I would have ordered it that way. It's been over twenty years since I got it so don't remember what I did at the time.

I don't know for sure about that. I bought mine as soon the Seneca hit the stores and it has a very low number. I don't know of anywhere that has a listing of serial numbers and production dates. Roundball knows more about T/C guns than anyone here so perhaps he will have some ideas on this.

Where the TC Cherokee rifles also offered in youth models as well? If so does anyone know what the lenght of pull should be? Mine is under 13 inches.

Old Ford said:
You can also purchase a bag of buck shot that is relatively cheap as well.Old Ford

Old Ford:
Tell me more. Can you shoot buckshot in a .36 Seneca? What size and where might I find some? Thanks very much.

Hi El Lobo,
Up here in Canada we call it # 0 buck, in the US I believe it is # 1 buck
Verify with your local gun shop, and they will mach you up.
It is soft, and loads easy.
You may need a ball starter, as your ramrod is quite small (narrow)
25 pounds will be enough for a lifetime.
Old Ford

Actually it's 000 buck that is .350. Atleast according to what TOW sells. Not sure of the current price but in my catalog it's listed at $11.50 for 5 pounds. This are Hornady swaged lead balls to boot. I imagine its probably close to 300-400 RBs. That would be an awful lot of small game and varmints. :grin:

The TOW website shows the current price at $24.50 for 5 lbs of either size shot. If you figure the .350 balls at 65 grains apiece, that is 108 roundballs per pound. 5 pounds equals 540 roundballs. That is a bargain.

If you figure the .30 balls at around 40 grains apiece, that is 175 per pound. 5 pounds equals 675 roundballs. That is really a bargain.

Thanks for the heads up, fellows.

i just got a seneca 36 also. let me get this right, do you mean that hornadys buck shot is the same as their swaged .350rb.? willthey shoot as acccurate, or good enough for hunting with? excuse my ignorence, but im a little green on this subject. thanksmuch, gary

nebo said:
i just got a seneca 36 also. let me get this right, do you mean that hornadys buck shot is the same as their swaged .350rb.? willthey shoot as acccurate, or good enough for hunting with? excuse my ignorence, but im a little green on this subject. thanksmuch, gary

Hi Gary. First off, I am not claiming to be an expert on Hornady's 000 buckshot. It appears from my online research that it is swaged ball and .350 inches in diameter with a tolerance of +/- .001 inches. One difference that I found is that the buckshot has a little bit of antimony mixed with the lead. The alloy is designed to provide less deformation and hence better penetration. This means that the shot is a little lighter and a little harder than pure lead. I am thinking this means that the 000 buckshot may not travel quite as far or hit quite as hard as the pure lead roundball, all other variables eliminated. With less expansion, it might make a slightly smaller exit wound. Probaby not a issue with the rabbits, squirrels, grouse or other small game I would likely hunt with the .36 caliber round.

How do you like your Seneca? I am liking the heck out of mine. I got it with three barrels, a .32, a .36 and a .45. It is light, easy to carry and way more accurate than I am.

Rowland

I've had my Seneca since the first year they were offered and it has never failed me. Mine is a .45 and it handles ball or Maxis with equal effect. I'm thinking about adding another barrel--maybe a .32 so I could use it for just about everything if I wanted too. I think the Seneca is, on balance, the sweetest percussion rifle T/C ever offered! :thumbsup:

hi rowland, yes im satisfied with my seneca also, to bad that tc no longer makes them. i got in contact with hornady, the tech. told me that the only difference between the rb and buckshot is that the roundballs are held to tighter tolerences than the buckshot. they are both pure lead. and due to the packaging the buckshot may have some flat spots due to handling.he said that for plinking or small game hunting the buckshot would save you money, he also uses the buckshot. but for serious target or competition shooting he would go with the round balls.

Back