• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Need help to get info on a shotgun...

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bigbore442001

50 Cal.
Reaction score
I took out my Dad's old muzzleloading double and cleaned it up. He bought the gun when he was a young man for hare hunting and used it a few times in the field. I would appreciate if anyone here could give me some information on it.

It is a Scholefield 16 guage double barreled percussion shotgun with the words "London Fine Twist" stamped on the rib between the barrels. The barrels are 30 1/2 " long. There are proof marks on the bottom. On each barrel you have what looks like a crown on top of a letter R . On one barrel the letters BW&S are stamped and the other has JS and FH stamped on the barrel. Both barrels have some sort of stamp that looks like crossed swords. Now this gun needs both hammers,a trigger guard screw and the tenon plates where the wedge goes to keep the stock on. It does not have the original ramrod. My Dad made one out of steel rod with a brass rammer.

I did some searching and found that there was a gunmaker out of Birmingham England named William Scholefield but I could not find anything more.

I'd like to know what it may be worth and maybe sell or trade it for something else. Any replies will be welcomed.

I am sorry that I can't help you on the other markings and stuff, but if I'm not mistaken "London Fine Twist" refers to a Damascus-steel (forge-welded twisted layers of steel) barrel. Those barrels, while having great eye-appeal, can have rusty areas concealed between the layers of steel, creating undetectable weak spots which may fail upon firing.

You said in your post that the shotgun is not in firing condition. If you are able to restore it and plan on shooting it, have it checked very carefully by a qualified gunsmith who is familiar with Damascus barrels.

Good luck in your search.

Probably not crossed swords, crossed sceptres with a crown over the top, Birmingham proof.

London Fine Twist or Twisted Stubs etc. on the top rib means a gun made for export to America where they didn't trust anything else.

Curiously Americans don't seem to trust damascene anymore which is slightly odd.

Damascus barrels never did actually weld despite all the heat and hammering so they don't weaken unless lots of people file them down over the years. If the proofs are still visible you are probably safe.

I got the not welded snippet from the blacksmith at Rodmell forge. During WW2 when iron was in short supply he used to taper down old shotgun barrels (blooming skillful work) to make the local pattern leg crook for shepherds. He said damascene was no good because it came unwound when he put the taper on it.

Robin, No one should shoot old Damascus/composite barrels. They should be left to me for their safety. These guns are worthless and I will take the responsiblity off of their hands. Sleep good tonight and package those dangerous items for shipment to me tomorrow morning. They will find that their brothers and sisters are already here waiting for them. :wink:

Back