• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

North Star Northwest trade Gun

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Irish13

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Last night I bought a North Star NWTG in .62 (20) gauge. It was built in the 80's by Curly Gostomski. It is really nice with a hand made, and hand stitched strap.. was wondering if anyone has any suggestions on loads to start with?

YMHS,
Irish

Never mind, I spoke with the gentleman who owned it and he gave me all his info on loads and what he had used in it for years. thanks anyway.

YMHS,
Irish

Irish, Okay, let us know what he said. If he's got 20 years of experience maybe he's got some real good hints.

I didn't ask him about hints or his experience in general. I asked strickly about the gun I bought and the loads for it. He said it shot best with a .60 round ball and 60grs of 3fff. He also gave me the lyman mold he used to cast balls and his bag mold for my gun.

If anyone has any suggestions I am always open to here them and learn new stuff. So fire away.

Thanks,
Irish

A .60 ball over a 60 grain charge is good load. Did he mention the patch thickness? I find that my .60's shoot best with a .010 patch.

In my opinion the patch ball combination in a smoothbore should be tight enough that the ball doesn't rattle when it comes out the barrel, but loose enough that you can use your finger to short start the ball a couple of inches into the barrel.

Curly Gostomski was the man that reinvented the modern smoothbore. Before Curly started selling them everyone shot rifles. If you have one from the 1980's you have one of the early ones. Curly farmed out the building of his guns to a lot of different young builders. Some of those builders went on to become some top names in today's market. If you have a 1980,s Curly gun it is a well made piece of history. Shoot it and enjoy it.

Many Klatch

He said he usually used wads. He actually gave me a couple thousand wads to go with gun. He also had some cartridges made up with paper and powder that he gave to me.

Yes it was made by Curly Gostomski as he still had the original order invoice from Northstar that was signed by Curly Gostomski himself thanking him for his order.

I am very proud of it! I thank all of you for your info and help.

YMHS, Irish

I will defiantly let you know how it shoots, I am taking it out today but as far as pictures, I'm sorry boys but I don't know how to post pictures on a computer.

YMHS,
Irish

I have an early Curly 62cal also that I just love.
For shot I use equal powder and shot,over powder card, wad, shot,and over shot card. For competition I use a mix of shot sizes in the load.

Irish13 said:
Last night I bought a North Star NWTG in .62 (20) gauge. It was built in the 80's by Curly Gostomski. It is really nice with a hand made, and hand stitched strap.. was wondering if anyone has any suggestions on loads to start with?

YMHS,
Irish

80 grains of powder and a .600 ball and a heavy patch.
Might need more powder for best accuracy.

Dan

setters are better, cough,cough.....unless there is a shorthair handy :haha: Just teasin thats a pretty point and honor there.

Here are some pic of the new gun. I hope it works.
gmorrison_photos

Thanks Breechplug,

I don't know how you did that but I appreciate it. I guess I ain't to good with these computers. Anyway boys here are the pics!! Thanks to BP!

Back