• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Notable ML quotes

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mikemeteor

45 Cal.
Reaction score
Hope this doesn’t violate the rules of this forum, but in the spirit of the season, I’ve been thinking about famous or notable historical references to muzzleloading. I thought of a few, but if you have more, please share.

“Tis better to have muzzleloaded and dryballed, than never to have muzzleloaded at all.”
-Alfred Lord Tennyson

“Forgive me Lord, for I have dryballed.”
- Traditional Prayer

“Hickory dickory dock, a spring flew off my lock.”
- Anonymous, children’s nursery rhyme

“Call me Dryball.”
- Herman Melville, opening line of Moby Dick.

“Spare the rod, spoil the barrel”.
- Samuel Butler, 1662.

My quote would be one I hear at the range all the time. "Why won't this #@#$*&^ thing go off?"

Or one fracturing Shakespear:

"I have come to shoot my flintlock not to praise him"

:)

My all time favorite:

"They couldn't hit an elephant at this distance."

Almost the words of General John Sedgwick. Spotsylvania, 1864

I gave the necessary order to move the troops to the right, and as they rose to execute the movement the enemy opened a sprinkling fire, partly from sharp-shooters. As the bullets whistled by, some of the men dodged. The general said laughingly, " What! what! men, dodging this way for single bullets! What will you do when they open fire along the whole line? I am ashamed of you. They couldn't hit an elephant at this distance." A few seconds after, a man who had been separated from his regiment passed directly in front of the general, and at the same moment a sharp-shooter's bullet passed with a long shrill whistle very close, and the soldier, who was then just in front of the general, dodged to the ground. The general touched him gently with his foot, and said, " Why, my man, I am ashamed of you, dodging that way," and repeated the remark, " They couldn't hit an elephant at this distance." The man rose and saluted and said good-naturedly, " General, I dodged a shell once, and if I hadn't, it would have taken my head off. I believe in dodging." The general laughed and replied, "All right, my man; go to your place."

For a third time the same shrill whistle, closing with a dull, heavy stroke, interrupted our talk; when, as I was about to resume, the general's face turned slowly to me, the blood spurting from his left cheek under the eye im a steady stream. He fell in my direction ; I was so close to him that my effort to support him failed, and I fell with him.
http://www.civilwarhome.com/sedgwickdeath.htm

Last edited by a moderator:
LOL! Good ones.

Keep your powder dry, and have a Merry Xmas.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++=
I'm not a complete fool! Some parts are missing.

Fun is good... :haha: :thumbsup:

"The Durs Egg and I"

"Beneath Flint Loch Ness"

"Mad Maxi-Ball Beyond Thunderdome"

"Load Every Which Way But Loose"

"Two Mule Ear Locks for Sister Sara"

"Hot Lead and Cold Patch Lube"

"Dr. Strangeload or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bess"

can't remember who said it ..but seems always memorable ..."Hey,Watch This!" :shocked2: :confused: ..................... :rotf:

Planet of the Inlines (1968)

Beneath the Planet of the Inlines (1970)

Escape from the Planet of the Inlines (1971)

Conquest of the Planet of the Inlines (1972)

Battle for the Planet of the Inlines (1973)

“Never interrupt your enemy when he is inserting a dryball”
- Napoleon Bonaparte

“I love the smell of Moose Juice in the morning.”
- Robert Duvall, Apocalypse Now

“I tried to shoot and nothing happened”
- In honor of The 3 Stooges’ Curly, who once famously said “I tried to think, and nothing happened.”

"The Muzzleblast of the Mohicans"

"Walker, Texas Revolver"

"Winterhawken"

"The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance With A Patched Roundball"

"Chato's Lands And Grooves"

"Blazing Patches"

Life is tough, but it's tougher when [strike]you're stupid[/strike] you dryball. John Wayne

I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me [strike]liberty[/strike] a flintlock or give me death! Patrick Henry

All men profess [strike]honesty[/strike] to have not dryballed as long as they can. To believe [strike]all men honest[/strike] a muzzle loader has not dryballed would be folly. John Quincy Adams

My name is Flint, James Flint... :v
The man with the golden flintlock... :grin:
Never say dryball again... :yakyak:
Goldflinter... :v
Flintlocks are forever... :thumbsup:
Thunderdryball... :confused:
You only dryball twice... :nono:
Dryballs are forever.... :(

In the theme of the "Planet of", we have the great spaghetti-western classic:
The Good, the Bad, and the Inlines.

Harry Callahan: I know what you're thinking. "Did he fire six shots or only five?" Well, to tell you the truth, in all this excitement I kind of lost track myself. But being as this is a .44 Walker Colt, the most powerful handgun in the world, and would blow your head clean off, you've got to ask yourself one question: Do I feel lucky? Well, do ya, punk?

Hey, remember than line in Josey Wales--were right after they off the two bounty hunters the young guy (injured and pretending to have gold under the blanket) asked Josey if'n they arta bury 'em. To which Josey replies,
"Buzzards gotta eat, same as dryballers."

Latest posts

Back